#####ing about new chains, and boot update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammerlogging

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just want to say, as Burv has pointed out many a time. I need a grinder.

I'd say one of the biggest annoyances in my life is filing new chains. Square chisel. Just to install my cut in the side plate, get the angles and edges nice and clean..... ARGH.

I can slip through a number of chains pretty fast handfiling, but the new ones BLOW! You can't satisfyingly cut with one straight off the real but man it sucks getting new ones into form.

If Oregon made chains that cut sweet off the reel, they'd make me a happy man. Taking the rakers down alone is not enough, the teeth need work. That means cutting into the sideplate. Better on the weekend than in the woods switching chains.

Quite frankly I don't have a satisfactory rockin ass chain until 2 filings in.
I feel bad looking into the household income for a big old purchase like that, this job costs a lot day in and day out, but the math is simple, it pays for itself.

Happy hunting.

By the way, the Hoffman uninsulated pacs are a confirmed yes. They have served me well as an alternative to bulkier inuslated pacs and wearing leathers when its very wet. Slim, broke in after about 3 weeks (all it needed was softening up of the leather where it attaches to the rubber) and very lightweight.

New chains are awful to file by hand. We need to hook up and you can try mine out.

Hammerlogging

Get yourself a SDM4 grinder. That's what I have. You are in the wood cutting biz. it's the tooth where it all starts so spend your money there.

ru55ell

10-4 folks.

Looks like a great week I have coming here weatehr wise, and timber worth a few pics later in the week, gotta get through with some bad to get back to the good!

Hammer you may be able to pick up a used Silvey if you put some feelers out. This thread may be enough. I've heard of guys picking up decent ones from members on here for under $500.00. Theres nothing more aggravating than chain not performing the way you want it too. It should be ripping right out of the box. I've found most out of the box Stihl chain is better than Oregon. I know the metal is harder too. I seem to get more time out of them and they seem to take filing better. The added price sure doesn't help the bottom line out though. I also don't use square. Theres some cookie cutters on this site that have Silvey square grinders just for cutting cookies.

used square grinders seems to be rarer than hens teeth... for some reason they almost never come up for sale.... yes it does happen, but not very often.

found my Simington 450 when someone posted on AS ... asking questions

Hammer you may be able to pick up a used Silvey if you put some feelers out. This thread may be enough. I've heard of guys picking up decent ones from members on here for under $500.00. Theres nothing more aggravating than chain not performing the way you want it too. It should be ripping right out of the box. I've found most out of the box Stihl chain is better than Oregon. I know the metal is harder too. I seem to get more time out of them and they seem to take filing better. The added price sure doesn't help the bottom line out though. I also don't use square. Theres some cookie cutters on this site that have Silvey square grinders just for cutting cookies.

I have a ##### about stihl chains as well. You always have a bur to file off for the first time you hand file. It sucks. But I have found a local place to buy chains at CHEAP prices.

Ray

He might be talking about the one in the gullet that is there from when they grind the tooth. I know it's on RSK chain.

Latest posts

Back