INPUT on LIFAN engines sold at Home Depot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chinese steel is the worst steel on the market, so many inpurities, very inconsistant
I wouldnt even want to try to make a certified weld on that garbage, all the impurties in the base material would just ruin the weld

That ain't been my experience...
I ain't a certified welder, but I've worked as a welder more than once... I've always gotten clean, consistent, strong, good looking welds in Chinese steel.

As far as I know China isn't making "high-grade" steel (I said "high-grade")... and they don't pretend to. They make the lower-grades, mild and general purpose steels... and the quality is as good as any other of the same type and purpose (in my experience). Ya' gotta' keep it apples-to-apples to make a fair comparison. (shrug)

I have a 13HP Predator from HF on mine. Bought it last year and it has been perfect. I just ran it today to slip up some red oak at 5 below and it started right up.

Like I said in my earlier post I have been in the tire business my entire life, I have owned and operated a Bridgestone/Firestone store for the last 35 years and when I first started you would have had to pay me to accept a tire made in China but man has things changed, you would be shocked at the tires on the road now made in China, there are only 2 American owned tire companies left, Goodyear and Cooper, the majority of all tire companies either manufacture or contract a big part of their lower priced tires in China, things have change, I was shocked to learn how many of the leading edge electronics are now made in China and Korea, as you guys know now threre is alot of steel all tires, the tire companies even ship some of the materials overseas build the product ship it back and sell it here in our good old USA, I can only speek for the tires but when it comes to a decent quality product that will give you trouble free service for the dollar, a big part of them are made in China, do the best tires you can buy come out of China, absolutely not, but again basically trouble free mile per dollar they will compare to tires built in any other country, If you really want to know the truth tires are no different from many other products, in my opinion the best quality tire for any amount of money comes out of Japan, and yes 30-40 years ago we were having these same discussions about Japan where the Hondas are made.
Ohh well we can beat this horse to death but I think we all know that these Chinese motors are not as good as a Honda but I do think they are rapidly improving and are probally worth what they cost.

Ohh one other little side note Honda has started 3 manufacturing plants in China, wonder where the steel and other building materials come from???

That ain't been my experience...
I ain't a certified welder, but I've worked as a welder more than once... I've always gotten clean, consistent, strong, good looking welds in Chinese steel.

As far as I know China isn't making "high-grade" steel (I said "high-grade")... and they don't pretend to. They make the lower-grades, mild and general purpose steels... and the quality is as good as any other of the same type and purpose (in my experience). Ya' gotta' keep it apples-to-apples to make a fair comparison. (shrug)
wasnt talking "high grade", im talking in general... but quality A-36 structural steel (angle/channel/I beams), or hot rolled plate/flat bar/bar stock, or cold rolled in something like a 1018, is what you consider "mild steel", doesnt even compare with the "stuff" china is making.
as far as you "always" having good results in welding that garbage, obvoiusly them welds havent been tested... also just because a weld "looks good" doesnt mean it is, which is why theres need for X-ray inspections...

"Ohh one other little side note Honda has started 3 manufacturing plants in China, wonder where the steel and other building materials come from??"
Have you done any research as to what is manufactured in these chinese plants??
as far as small engines go honda makes their low quality "GC" series engines in china, and their "better" GX series in Japan...

im really just sick of seeing most people buy multiple "throw away" products, instead of just buying something of decent quality that could last a lifetime with some upkeep.
since this about small engines, the engine on my splitter is a Wisconsin Twin cylinder about 60 years old +/- 4 years, its had a hard life (ran a bailer then a saw rig) it needed rings and a valve job when i got it.
now it runs like a top and i have a total of about $250 into it, and theres no doubt it will last atleast another 60+ years (with proper maintenance) now id love to see someone get that out of any engine produced these days

Had good luck with a couple of those lifan engines myself, low use engines, but they always start and run, cheap to replace the whole engine if ever there is a problem. One on the rototiller, one on lmbrkids minibike. I have a spare NIB, it just sits there with nothing to do. The 6hp was $69 at horrid freight when I bought them. I am not going to be convinced 100% by some words that the GX engines are made in japan with Japanese parts. The 390GX on my sawmill seemed to have indication otherwise on the box, instruction manual and parts themselves. Engine is a few years old, been good, seen some heavy use, had to replace a few small things. No I am not wading out in the snow to take pics, and I don't keep worthless paper packaging. Take it as you want, it is free, worthless info.

-dave

Lifan was setup by Honda to make parts for the gx series engines. Some parts were good according to the QC checks some were not. As time went on the Chinese would assemble these parts and sell the engines. Problems really began when the started ramping up production, producing/cloning parts that they had made before, and selling complete engine even painted the same as Honda in such places as harbor freight. Honda sued and won which forced the Chinese to stop selling engine painted like Honda engines(trademark). It's perfectly legal to copy a product as long as it's not under patent nor stylized/passed off as the original brand.

Had good luck with a couple of those lifan engines myself, low use engines, but they always start and run, cheap to replace the whole engine if ever there is a problem. One on the rototiller, one on lmbrkids minibike. I have a spare NIB, it just sits there with nothing to do. The 6hp was $69 at horrid freight when I bought them. I am not going to be convinced 100% by some words that the GX engines are made in japan with Japanese parts. The 390GX on my sawmill seemed to have indication otherwise on the box, instruction manual and parts themselves. Engine is a few years old, been good, seen some heavy use, had to replace a few small things. No I am not wading out in the snow to take pics, and I don't keep worthless paper packaging. Take it as you want, it is free, worthless info.

-dave
well it looks like honda has gone to china with most everything then, im not a huge honda fan and i dont really follow them , their older engines were some of the best but not anymore, but the last i knew all of the gx series engines were still made in japan, but i guess they have no real reason to make a superior product if most people just want mediocre products:dizzy: ...
maybe its just me but i would rather spend more on something of quality or US made and actually support MY OWN country then sending money to some other country that doesnt like us just to get a piece of garbage product!
its been said that china makes good and bad products, electronics aside, has anyone actually had a good quality product out of china, i mean REAL quality, NOT what passes as "quality" to most these days?
also love everyone that puts Harbor freight "down" yet they still shop there:buttkick:theres some quote about not being able to fix stupid that comes to mind:)

90299**
well it looks like honda has gone to china with most everything then, im not a huge honda fan and i dont really follow them , their older engines were some of the best but not anymore, but the last i knew all of the gx series engines were still made in japan, but i guess they have no real reason to make a superior product if most people just want mediocre products:dizzy: ...
maybe its just me but i would rather spend more on something of quality or US made and actually support MY OWN country then sending money to some other country that doesnt like us just to get a piece of garbage product!
its been said that china makes good and bad products, electronics aside, has anyone actually had a good quality product out of china, i mean REAL quality, NOT what passes as "quality" to most these days?
also love everyone that puts Harbor freight "down" yet they still shop there:buttkick:theres some quote about not being able to fix stupid that comes to mind:)

One thing for sure 90% of what Harbor Frieght sells comes from China, I also like to support the American made products but honestly so many of the things we buy thats not even an option.

90299**

One thing for sure 90% of what Harbor Frieght sells comes from China, I also like to support the American made products but honestly so many of the things we buy thats not even an option.
and thats the real problem that most dont give a **** about, but then they complain that theres no jobs, governments dont have enought money, etc. well if they supported their own country it wouldnt be such a damn problem!
i dont have a problem buying something imported, if its somthing of decent quality and actually comes from a company in that country, the problem i have is when a US based company out sources all of their work to other countries, just to bring all that garbage back to the US and sell it to us, while the only ones benifitting are the company owners and the country making these prouducts.
it should be more or less equal trade (their goods for our goods), not they make 80% of the products we use for our cash, which is about the way it is now...
i guess maybe people will realize what their doing (or did) once their the ones working in sweat shops working of a few dollars a day, while the countries we made rich are are in power:bowdown::dizzy:

I can only attest to the quality of he greyhound and predator engines sold by hf. The greyhounds were made by lifan and a very good quality direct copy of a honda, the predator have a greater difference but run excellent and hold up really well. I second the idea of buying made in America and supporting local economy, however quality and cost is my first concern, heck when even the companies making "American made" products are out sourcing parts from oversees to increase their quality, profit, sales, etc. that should tell you something. I just as soon skip the middle man.

I always find it amusing when people hold up the banner "buy american made goods...!" When at the same time all companies are trying to maximize their profits. And the only way to do that is to reduce their costs(producing somewhere else etc.). Further the constant complaint about quality issues of foreign products falls into the same category. The magic word is "planned obsolescence", that's as old as the light bulb!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...e_depression_through_planned_obsolescence.pdf

So all this deterioration of quality is simply what the companies want to keep up their income. The quality of the 60 and 70's is gone and is never comming back. If you look further at how the "real" price for the products has changed over time you can expect to pay double to triple of what you pay today.Then again no one want's to use a product 5 years old! Technology is advancing so fast that everyone believes today's products are better than yesterdays!

FYI it would appear that the newest Lifan engines have the CDI ignition found on the Honda GX series small engines, with this comes automatic electronic ignition advance,.. And an electronic rev limiting coil that compliments the typical mechanical governor.

(NR Racing sells a non rev limited genuine Honda coil, i am trying one soon to verify that it will in fact work on the clones.. NR was curious too so they said if it doesnt work simply mail it back for a refund)

Factory CDI kills spark at roughly 4,000 rpm.

(These engines are excellent)

(Building a Mud Motor/ Outboard)

Don't look now but every Mfg mostly has some sort of cheaper line ( its call build to a price point)

I bought and sold about 100 Chinese ATVs, Scooters and Motorcycles back when I had my Motorcycle Shop. Many of them had annoying problems with leaks or minor stuff that I had to fix right out of the crate. No more Chinese knockoffs for me. If the Chinese can skimp on a bolt they will or slam a washer into a spot to take up some slack they do. Most of the US Companies I have seen import them always had a bad time and went belly up. US Patents mean nothing in China, they copy and duplicate, there is no development or product life cycle testing standards. If it looks like a shiny turd they are happy and ship it. Americans want warranties and the Chinese just act as if everything they supply is consumable. In the end it's just my not so humble opinion that they are not worth doing business with, they out right lie with a smile and the money you think you save buying their hardware is not as much as you think. I just buy used Honda GX motors used for my splitters and conveyor. I picked up a Honda GX240 with a gear reduction crank shaft for $100 not too long ago for my conveyor.

This is

I couldn't agree more. Their steel is lower quality because they will cut it with cheaper products to make more money. Plenty of those Chinese ATVs frames and mounts broke and the steel was tough to weld because you could see the impurities popping out of the melted steel as you would run a bead. Some products met minimum expectations but none were really great and out of the Blue they would change something that would really screw up the performance of the machines. To get my respect you have to earn it and they sure did not!

Yeah yeah chinese BBBBBBBAAAAAHHHHHHHHHDDDDDD,... ANYTHING OTHER THAN CHINESE GGGGGGGOOOOOODDDDDD....

Same old parrotted ******** we have all heard 5,000,000 times before, does that apply to Lifan that produces engines for Honda?

Then what the hell are we talking about?

The Lifan engines are fine, well made machines.

I hear more parroted ******** from folks looking to people please on forums than anything.

Buy Union you say?,.. I am Union,.. When you "BUY UNION" i guarantee 85~ 90% your "BUY UNION" mentality has the unintended consequence of you supporting an Obamite voting family,.. How about "everyone watch out for themselves and mind your own business", always worked for me.

I stopped buying Dodge and Chevrolet years ago, cheap OVERPRICED CRAP,... I still buy Ford but Toyota Nissan Hyundai in that order~ I'm done being a dumb ass follower and buying stuff based on what the f'tard next door "might think"

Not Parrotted ********, a Honda gx will be much better long term especially in a commercial application. Have fun with you Lifan . Why don't you start buying and selling them for profit and you will see pretty quick how they are a couple units here and there is one thing.

Oh IF ONLY i could simply google the relationship between Lifan and Honda and prove the quality of the two were comparable.. If only i could establish a history of Honda contracting Lifan to build motors for them... If only perhaps most all of the parts were a direct swap from motor to motor,.. Blah ha ha!!!

Nothing personal man just when i hear ******** i have to call folks on it,.. And i call ********,.. Your talking from your ass

Lifan makes an excellent line of engines. (Three year warranty through Home Depot to boot,.. HD must have some confidence in their engines)

Call Darrel in Lifan's Tech Support if you have any tech questions non Lifan haters,.. He's very helpful.

"I don't buy Chinese crap!" (Entered on a chinese iPhone ROFL)

Back