Insect Control in Wood Storage area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wikrisra

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I moved about two cords of firewood into my garage over the past week or so. Some is freshly cut and split, some is freshly cut standing dead wood…some of which is ready for burning this winter. But some was on the ground in the woods. However I’m concerned that some of this dead wood is introducing bugs into my garage. Can any one recommend a product that I may use as bait or spray to hold down the bugs and protect the house? I’ve cleaned up the loose bark and litter…that should help.

Thanks

Here we would use Tempo, which is available at all farm stores. It kills everything and has good residual, water will wash it away though. Ortho makes something similar called home defense, and it's less spendy. I sprayed one of my piles with the tempo and I've never seen a bug from that pile. From now on I'll be spraying everything outside, although I believe it is safe indoors too. I just don't want stuff that strong inside with my kids around.

I use sevin dust usually on my wood piles especially when I know I brought something home like carpenter ants the other borer bugs you just have to believe they are there and they are. I dont know if anything gets them but the fireplace! :)

Kansas

I have a can of Konk or Spider blaster and when I loade the wood box I giver a spray.. still get some spiders but nothing crazy... No ants or anything like that yet. trick is to get the stuff that keeps killing after sprayed and spray a perimeter around the wood box.

Wood is best left outside until seasoned. You are not only inviting bugs into your garage but also mold. Wait until the weather gets cold and bring in the dry stuff and you should have no bug problems.. Leave the rest to season outside.

My neighbor has a green house. And every season he clears out the bugs with some type of aeorsol bomb. You set it and stay away for a day or so. Any good local garden shop may have this product. Personally, I have no problem with spiders. They are good. Unfortunately, you would probably being "giving them one in the hat" with the other bugs. (Yeah, I know, spiders are arachnids, not bugs)

Tempo is great,but its restricted use here,I use it on the golf course,but i have a NYS DEC license.

So what does burning these chemicals do to the indoor environment or even your chimney/liner?

Like said above you might get a lot of moisture in your garage if it's not seasoned.

I keep all my green wood outside also, one thing I found helps is spreading the grandualer type on the ground under the decking that the wood sets on in the shed, then spread some on the wood while your stacking, not a lot just a fling every now and then, it generally falls off while your transporting it to the house. I keep a bug sprayer next to the splitter when I'm splitting to get those hidden ant colonies that we all know are going to pop up.

how to kill mice without rat poisen or cats cant use either cause dogs here

I cant vouch for this but 'have been told' haha anti-freeze in a small cup along the walls works on rodents, now take that with salt they would have to drink it and who knows if they will or not?

I dont use that method since I have a shop cat and I also put poison under things out of his reach so I know they can be kept away from the bad stuff if you are carefull use your best judgement there!

On the other hand I have seen my cat eat a mouse and spit out the green pesticide pellets leaving them laying all around the mouse that it ate before the cat nabbed it and not have any noticible ill effects I can only imagine how many times that scenario repeats unnoticed on a yearly basis ymmv.

Obviously have to keep it out of your dogs and kids reach etc. hth

Kansas

Latest posts

Back