Insert Cost

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajonestx

Reaction score
What should I expect to pay for a fireplace insert + installation? My house only 900sq ft so I don't need something huge or fancy. I just want to get more $ out of the wood I cut and the fireplace sends it all up the chimney.

It cost us about $3,000 when all was said and done. The stainless steel chimney liner alone was about $1000. You're on the right track though by realizing how inefficient a regular fireplace is. This was the best investment we made. Do it...you'll be glad you did!

First off, welcome to the AS forums... Always glad to see new people signing up. I would check around your town and see if anyone sells inserts and get a quote, let them know your budget as you look at different brands, lots to select from.

My parents just spent between 4K-5K, but it was a very good brand (Pacific Energy) and included a new stainless flue (lines the existing chimney) and installation. I would think you might be able to find something between 2K - 3K, depending on the brand and the difficulty (or not) of the installation.

Depending if you are handy with tools and stuff like the installation, you can pick up used inserts around here for $300 - $500, and get some stainless flue pipe. But I would not recommend that if it is something new to you. Don't want to risk burning down your house to save $$$$. Good Luck.

Here is a link to their final installation.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=1194321#post1194321

Last edited:
I've also been looking for an insert for the same reasons as you. I'm not sure about U.S prices but around here I've been quoted the following

Fireplace insert $1500-2500
Installation kit $500
Install by dealer $500

Was alot pricer than I expected it to be. I'm still debating about getting an insert due to the cost. I don't head my place with wood but wanted to cut down a bit on electric and gas bills in the winter. So I guess I'm looking to partially head with wood.

Woodheat.org is a good site to check out aswell.

Cheers
Rusty

Just found some of the brochures I got on inserts with prices from local dealer. Would be interested to see what you guys in the U.S think of these prices? High, low about right etc...?

Scan DSA 4 $2599 + $379 for metal trim surround, :jawdrop: Ouch!

Jotul C 350 $2399 for flat black

As I said in last post add about $500 for install and another $500 for install kit with stainless steel liner for chimney

Rusty

A couple years ago I purchased a Dutch West (Vermont Castings) steel plate wood stove insert. At the time it cost about $1400 for the stove and install kit. I installed it myself and saved some $$.

In the first year I used only 150 gallons of heating oil instead of the usual 825. Needless to say the insert has paid for itself already and I'm very glad that I purchased it.

If all goes as planned I'll upgrade to a better unit in about 3-4 more years.

Just found some of the brochures I got on inserts with prices from local dealer. Would be interested to see what you guys in the U.S think of these prices? High, low about right etc...?

Scan DSA 4 $2599 + $379 for metal trim surround, :jawdrop: Ouch!

Jotul C 350 $2399 for flat black

As I said in last post add about $500 for install and another $500 for install kit with stainless steel liner for chimney

Rusty

check out Pacific Energy , they are made in Canada , mine was $1600.00 for the wood stove and I got a great deal on the pipe , full stainless for $125.00 , it was used but looked like new , and I did the install my self with the help of my brothers , then got it signed off by the city inspector , been working great for 3 seasons

3-12-2006036.jpg

Ajones, I wouldn't worry about the cost. It will be the best money you ever spent. Since installing my Pacific Engery insert, I cut my oil consumption by half--burning only part-time. And in the northern climates, a secondary source of heat is like money in the bank. If your furnace dies in mid-winter or you get a power outage, you'll be glad you got that insert. A plumber's repair bill for frozen pipes, as well as a sheet rocker's bill for new drywall, might make the price of an insert a bargain by comparison.

I had a Napoleon 1401 installed last about Christmas by a local shop in NW Ohio, $1450 for the insert, $250 for the liner kit, $250 for the install.

A shop North of me in metro Detroit wanted $3699 for a Quadrafire 3100 and another $1000 for the liner kit and install.

I get overnight burns 8-10 hours burning oak and hickory, 6 hours if I'm burning ash in the Napoleon.

Back