Insert Glass

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdc123

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've noticed glass being mentioned in a couple of threads, so I had a question. My sister broke the glass in her Buckstove insert and I had an old insert (don't remember the brand ) that I took the glass out of, cut it and installed in her doors. The deal is this: Did they use some type of special "Pyrex" glass back then ( circa 1980's ) or what. It seems to have worked fine for all those years but I wondered if there were better options available now, and if they can be cut with a glass cutter.

I've noticed glass being mentioned in a couple of threads, so I had a question. My sister broke the glass in her Buckstove insert and I had an old insert (don't remember the brand ) that I took the glass out of, cut it and installed in her doors. The deal is this: Did they use some type of special "Pyrex" glass back then ( circa 1980's ) or what. It seems to have worked fine for all those years but I wondered if there were better options available now, and if they can be cut with a glass cutter.

The newer woodstove glass is pretty much the same. Cuts the same, works the same, just a good bit tougher and less sensitive(Lower expansion) than the older stuff, and since the 50's it's been tweaked a little and made under various other names.

Corning Life Sciences | Stirrer & Hot Plate Selection Guide | Pyroceram Story

Most any good glass shop will carry it, or if you're feeling lucky, can be had online.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Go back far enough they used Mica. Now it's a ceramic glass. Probably set you back $75. Have it cut, good insurance that you'll only be buying one piece

Latest posts

Back