Inside the Echo 500P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys both have 550xp's, how does this saw compare to the 550?

I had a 550XP.......

I traded it for an 084.

I would be very happy to use this 500P for anything. I could see this saw being a great saw for a guy the just had one saw.

The 600P would be a better one saw plan though.

Echo $400 with a 16" $175ish to make it that fast
550xp $560 with a 16" $250ish for dis a one

The 550 is smoother but heavier as well. Traded my five phidee for a plasma cutter :rock:

*Disclaimer...those are not my prices as I'm not for hire

[video=youtube_share;X3f40udsapI]http://youtu.be/X3f40udsapI[/video]

The 550 is smoother but heavier as well. Traded my five phidee for a plasma cutter :rock:

I think you are close on the prices.

[video=youtube_share;X3f40udsapI]http://youtu.be/X3f40udsapI[/video]

Sounds like you got a great deal...!!!

Nice videos. Not a big deal, but I noticed the chain was a little loose on the Echo 500P video. Nothing runs like a good ported saw. Whew!

I had a 550XP.......

I traded it for an 084.

I would be very happy to use this 500P for anything. I could see this saw being a great saw for a guy the just had one saw.

The 600P would be a better one saw plan though.
I have a 500p and 600p my self.I llke them both a lot but the 600 gets used the most. ive cut 100 semi loads of pople and 75 loads of fire wood so far with the 600.so i would say the 600 is very durable.They are both muffler moded and run really well. Im impressed with the new echos. I hope they come out with some big saws that are designed like the 600 in the 70 to 90 cc range.

I have a 500p and 600p my self.I llke them both a lot but the 600 gets used the most. ive cut 100 semi loads of pople and 75 loads of fire wood so far with the 600.so i would say the 600 is very durable.They are both muffler moded and run really well. Im impressed with the new echos. I hope they come out with some big saws that are designed like the 600 in the 70 to 90 cc range.

Thanks for sharing on the 600Ps durability. I've hoped to hear from someone that has ran one of them a lot. I also hope they produce a 70cc saw like the 600P.

My guess is the oiler gear isn't a common failure. Package out of the distributor is dated 10/13/10

udy4e7ag.jpg

I haven't read the whole thread.... but which shindaiwa is that supposed to be like?

I know it's OT, but ....

I had Randy break my 600p's cherry(sent it to him without being fueled), and I've put about a dozen tanks though it. I can't say enough good things about this saw! It's my go-to on the larger stuff.

I haven't read the whole thread.... but which shindaiwa is that supposed to be like?

Well I'm no Shinny expert but the worm gear is shared with the 446S and 502S.

Any one with experience on the 680? Handled one at the dealer today, looked and felt nice. Six bills take home seems like a heck of a deal for near 70cc??

Any one with experience on the 680? Handled one at the dealer today, looked and felt nice. Six bills take home seems like a heck of a deal for near 70cc??
I have a 680 also but i havent really ran it much. i should really take it out to the job with me in the mourning and compare it to the 372xp xt.one thing i will say is its built well. onething i do know is it is a pretty good buy i gave 550 new for mine.

Last edited:
I have a 680 also but i havent really ran it much. i should really take it out to the job with me in the mourning and compare it to the 372xp xt.one thing i will say is its built well.

Looks to be. Liked the filter setup also......well and the price of course.

Looks to be. Liked the filter setup also......well and the price of course.
i took the 680 to the woods today and im not real impressed. Im going to muffler mod it and tune the carb to see if that help.

I haven't ran a 680 but they are the old school echo like the 8000. Lower rpm and high torque. Run the rakers lower maybe around .40.
I already tryed lower rakers but it seemed to bog down.Im going to mess with it some more to see if i can get it to run good.

Back