Inspired by bsnelling 372XP stock in Oak 36" at base

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Reaction score
Inspired by blsnelling 372XP stock in Oak 36" at base

Brad-

I've seen in your videos the "line" you make around the tree for the back cut and got into a decent oak this past weekend and making that line worked great. This is the first time I've been videoed cutting and thought I'd share. I know some of the guys may yell at me for no hard hat -- this tree was healthy w/ little risk but I'm listening and will get a hat. I'm on my 3rd weekend in a row of many hours of saw use (lots of storm cleanup) and I'll take the advice -- more people keep asking about cutting trees for them and I really enjoy it and I'd like to get better at it / stay safe. I'm getting the chainsaw addiction I think people have mentioned on here... once snow flies I'll be sending the 262XP to Randy for rebuild & port job per your advice!

Person taking video says "hickory" but's it's oak -- one vid doing the notch, 2nd is back cut.

This is my 2010 Stock 372XP X-torq 24" Bar w/ 73LGX chain.

[video=youtube;83lJO8d_5FY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83lJO8d_5FY[/video]

Last edited:
And this is how we got it safe for cutting up after it stood 10 feet up in the air or whatever :D
Used the car as a shield in case the line snapped once the tractor started pulling...

[video=youtube;jOlayzpNZ5U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOlayzpNZ5U[/video]

Flush cutting the stump -- about 36" at the biggest part. Jim says 30" bar on the saw, but it's a 24" bar.
He stopped filming to put in some wedges.

Lastly -- here's a link to some still pictures -- cut it all up firewood length, also took down a butternut tree that went very quickly.

In there is a picture of the completed flush cut: Cutting Trees at Jim's 11/19/2012

[video=youtube;UAXm_0bEYHM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAXm_0bEYHM[/video]

I thought you done a good job. Just keep an eye on your surroundings. Things can go wrong real quick. Definetly get that new hardhat when you get a chance. You never know when limbs are going to break. Try to always keep your eyes up.
On some of those hard leaning trees, it's better to bore cut them. That one was'nt too bad but for anything heavy leaning, a bore cut will let it down without barberchairing.
Practice is the only way to become better at anything. Just be careful, it's a dangerous lifestyle.

Brad is a great guy,he also has a video that will inspire you to wear the hard that you mentioned.

Yes I saw that!!! very scary -- the one where he cut his hinge and the tree got him... I also saw some newer vids from Brad with 576XP t-shirt, hard hat, and chaps! Would love the t-shirt but will settle on a hard hat... Next felling job will certainly involve a hard hat.

I've learned a lot on this forum -- it is an awesome resource and I hope the stuff I've posted doesn't bore you guys! If it doesn't bore you, I'll do my best to stay safe so I can bore you... err... post more :biggrin:

I thought you done a good job. Just keep an eye on your surroundings.

Thanks Anthony -- glad to hear some positive feedback. I took my time as time isn't money in this case -- looked at it quite a bit, went in with a plan and the plan worked great. Waited til end of the cutting day to cut the base in case it was loaded with dirt / rocks or whatever other treasures might be inside a tree growing along a stonewall on a farm :eek2:

I've watched some vids of borecuts -- and practiced boring with the bar when flush cutting a locust stump 2 weekends ago and had no problems (no kickback etc.). Good practice when it didn't matter (tree already down).

Thanks Anthony -- glad to hear some positive feedback. I took my time as time isn't money in this case -- looked at it quite a bit, went in with a plan and the plan worked great. Waited til end of the cutting day to cut the base in case it was loaded with dirt / rocks or whatever other treasures might be inside a tree growing along a stonewall on a farm :eek2:

I've watched some vids of borecuts -- and practiced boring with the bar when flush cutting a locust stump 2 weekends ago and had no problems (no kickback etc.). Good practice when it didn't matter (tree already down).

Money is no good if you're dead, keep that up always have a plan, take you're time,and keep on looking at it from every angle as many times as you feel is necessary, you did a good job.

+1 on some PPE. Even though death may not result, any injury is not worth it.

Nice stump, good on you for practicing new techniques. :msp_thumbsup:

Nice tree! I'll not coment on your technique as I'm no where near qualified. I will say that personly, I never cut without chaps, eye pro and ear pro. I'm always alone and just try to be extra carefull. As for a helmet- I have one and on the few trees that I feel warrent it(as in having dead limbs), I wear it but take right off once they're on the ground. Just my $.02.

Never use expensive pieces of machinery as shields!! You need a hat and some chaps because someday without warning you will need them to protect you. Just say NO to chainsaw gore :msp_thumbdn: Good job on getting that down without mishap.

Brian

Brad-

I'm getting the chainsaw addiction I think people have mentioned on here... once snow flies I'll be sending the 262XP to Randy for rebuild & port job per your advice!

Person taking video says "hickory" but's it's oak -- one vid doing the notch, 2nd is back cut.

This is my 2010 Stock 372XP X-torq 24" Bar w/ 73LGX chain.

[video=youtube;83lJO8d_5FY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83lJO8d_5FY[/video]

Who are you kidding? - You posted more videos than Steven Speiberg!!! LOL

The videographer said you were doing this "single-handed" - I swear you were using both hands!!

Great vids:msp_smile:

luck,greg

Last edited:
Back