Install question?w/pic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawaddict

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ok fellas, I need a little advice. Im wanting to put a stove on my "added on" porch.

I want to either run stove pipe out the window(lower level) or through the roof. Will it work? Or would I have to find a way to get the stove pipe above the rest of the house?

Last edited:
I would tend to go up through t he add-on roof, then extend it to exit at least 3 feet higher than the highest part of your house roof.
However, check your local codes, just to make sure

John

I would tend to go up through t he add-on roof, then extend it to exit at least 3 feet higher than the highest part of your house roof.

John

There are no codes.

I was hoping I wouldnt have to go higher than the highest part of the house roof.

Most owner's manuals state your chimney will have to be 2' or 3' taller than the ridgeline of any roof that is within 10' of the chimney's exit. So, if the proposed chimney exit from the porch roof is not 10' from your house, then your chimney for the stove will have to be 2' or 3' taller than the ridgeline (highest point) on your home. There are lots of stove owner's manuals online so take a look at the manual before purchasing.

Shari

Last edited:
Most owner's manuals state your chimney will have to be 2' or 3' taller than the ridgeline of any roof that is within 10' of the chimney's exit. So, if the proposed chimney exit from the porch roof is not 10' from your house, then your chimney for the stove will have to be 2' or 3' taller than the ridgeline (highest point) on your home. There are lots of stove owner's manuals online so take a look at the manual before purchasing.

Shari

well, I already bought the stove:)

one of my concerns was a cinder blowing into the siding, is that a legit concern?

John

We have some crazy wind and Im hesitant to run stovepipe that high.

Thats why i was thinking of going out the window and then up. What is a safe distance from the rest of the house?

Of course local code is the final word.
My local code is similar to what Shari said.
Here the chimney needs to be 2' higher than any part of the structure within 10'. That may not be the peak. This small detail may or may not matter.
Good luck.

Of course local code is the final word.
My local code is similar to what Shari said.
Here the chimney needs to be 2' higher than any part of the structure within 10'. That may not be the peak. This small detail may or may not matter.
Good luck.

You've got some good answers but always check your local codes. Doing the same job twice just costs twice the money.....

Check out that tree location also.

From a woman's viewpoint, I wouldn't go through a window. I would hassle my hubby until he ran a new chimney chase on the exterior right up the wall that connects the porch to the house using insulated pipe inside the chase. Aesthetically, this would look nicer; structurally it would be more secure; functionally, you would have a warmer chimney, better draw, less possibility of creosote buildup, etc.

Shari

One of the reasons for the chimney being above the highest point on the house is for the draft of the chimney. When the air travels over the house it tends to travel towards the ground and then back towards the house after it passes the ridge. This can cause a downdraft situation in your chimney. Also it should be above any windows on the house. Looks to me like a low chimney there is going to push the smoke down and swirl smoke and ash towards the house and rooftop (and those upstairs windows).
I'd run the chimney higher than the upper roof ridge in your situation.

You've got some good answers but always check your local codes. Doing the same job twice just costs twice the money.....

Check out that tree location also.

From a woman's viewpoint, I wouldn't go through a window. I would hassle my hubby until he ran a new chimney chase on the exterior right up the wall that connects the porch to the house using insulated pipe inside the chase. Aesthetically, this would look nicer; structurally it would be more secure; functionally, you would have a warmer chimney, better draw, less possibility of creosote buildup, etc.

Shari

Yes, I agree.

I didnt post pics of the interior, but the stove could only go on the far end of the porch, opposite of where it connects to the house. I just measured outside and if i put it there, it would be 10 ft from the house, exactly.

Then there is the window issue. Im starting to wonder if this is even possible.

You will not be happy if the stove pipe is below the level of upper roof. You will get smoke at the window level. Also when I start my stove in the morning with a new load of wood I get small embers out of the stack.

You will not be happy if the stove pipe is below the level of upper roof. You will get smoke at the window level. Also when I start my stove in the morning with a new load of wood I get small embers out of the stack.

I may still try it. I would only use it on the cold, cold nights when the pipes in the washroom on the porch tend to freeze. I have a blaze king that is my main source, Im guessing I will use this stove 15-20 nights a year. Im thinking I will pipe it out the window and see if its a problem. Then next winter install it based on how the next month or so goes.:(

My insurance company is fine with it...whatever thats worth.

My insurance company is fine with it...whatever thats worth.

At the risk of being flamed by the list I really hate to put it this way, but there is no other way: You have received good info here but apparently you are choosing to ignore it. Your insurance company is probably fine with it but if there is a house fire the first thing they will look at is if the stove was installed according to manufacturers specs. If they determine it was not, your claim will be denied.

Smoke contains carbon monoxide. Smoke coming in upper windows is CO entering your sleeping area. CO is a silent killer. When you tuck your children into bed at night and kiss your spouse goodnight think about this: Is saving $200 - $400 in installation costs worth the life of a loved one and $1,000's in property damage?

Good luck in your final decision. Don't become a statistic.

Shari

Last edited:
At the risk of being flamed by the list I really hate to put it this way, but there is no other way: You have received good info here but apparently you are choosing to ignore it. Your insurance company is probably fine with it but if there is a house fire the first thing they will look at is if the stove was installed according to manufacturers specs. If they determine it was not, your claim will be denied.

Smoke contains carbon dioxide. Smoke coming in upper windows is CO entering your sleeping area. CO is a silent killer. When you tuck your children into bed at night and kiss your spouse goodnight think about this: Is saving $200 - $400 in installation costs worth the life of a loved one and $1,000's in property damage?

Shari

carbon monoxide
yes, i know what it is.

carbon dioxide is CO2, which would be two oxygen molecules, opposed to 1 for carbon monoxide.

Last edited:

Smoke contains carbon monoxide. Smoke coming in upper windows is CO entering your sleeping area. CO is a silent killer. When you tuck your children into bed at night and kiss your spouse goodnight think about this: Is saving $200 - $400 in installation costs worth the life of a loved one and $1,000's in property damage?

Shari

Maybe you misunderstood my post. I am going to install it through the window and see if it is going to work. If it doesnt work and smokes the windows, I am taking it out. Nothing lost but my time and no hole in the roof or wall.
Running stovepipe up where the porch and house meet is not an option because of the interior design of the house. So if this doesnt work, the idea is a bust, but it is what it is.

Thank you for you insight. I want something safe as well as functional.

regardless if you go through the window or through the roof you still have to run it above the top of the peak. i tried what you are thinking of doing and almost killed my 3 year old. the smoke alway's cicrled around after exiting the pipe and went towards her bedroom window, had her window closed and plastic over it, smoke still entered the house and co2 it filled up her room and set off the alarm in the hall way after it seeped out the closed door. just about lost her, not a pretty picture having to revive your own daughter over a couple of saved dollars with a shorter run of pipe, your upstairs window's dont look that new, gauranteed you will have smoke problems if you do this.
my pipe is now 7 feet above my peak. and no problems since

regardless if you go through the window or through the roof you still have to run it above the top of the peak. i tried what you are thinking of doing and almost killed my 3 year old. the smoke alway's cicrled around after exiting the pipe and went towards her bedroom window, had her window closed and plastic over it, smoke still entered the house and co2 it filled up her room and set off the alarm in the hall way after it seeped out the closed door. just about lost her, not a pretty picture having to revive your own daughter over a couple of saved dollars with a shorter run of pipe, your upstairs window's dont look that new, gauranteed you will have smoke problems if you do this.
my pipe is now 7 feet above my peak. and no problems since

Well, I guess the idea is a bust, I dont know of a realistic way of running the stovepipe up that high in that spot. Thank you.

The upstairs windows are 3 years old.

Last edited:
you could build yourself a support system outa 1" square tubing that runs up to the edge of the rood str8 up then run in at the peak, not hard to do and
would be solid, what is the dimension's to the top of the peak? sorry wasn't trying to sound like i did, just hate to see anyone get hurt thats all

you could build yourself a support system outa 1" square tubing that runs up to the edge of the rood str8 up then run in at the peak, not hard to do and
would be solid, what is the dimension's to the top of the peak? sorry wasn't trying to sound like i did, just hate to see anyone get hurt thats all

you are proposing straight up away from the house?

I am hesitant to do that. we are prone to high winds.

Latest posts

Back