Installing clutch Jonsered 630 Super II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfrun

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All, just finished putting on a new rim sprocket and bearing on a 630 Super II Jonsered and was concerned about re-mounting torque and best way to install correctly. I used an impact wrench to remove and a 1/2" drive ratchet to install. Have seen posts suggesting removing starter when re-installing clutch? Just want to make sure it's on securely. I used a piston stop to remove, use it to install? Thanks for your help and time!

Gonna move this one to Chainsaws. You'll likely find more and better discussion there.

That said, I don't sweat torque much on the clutch side. Running the saw will keep it at the right torque, more or less. That's why it's reverse-threaded. Just sorta snug it up and it'll stay put. Five bucks says a dozen guys will roll in here with better advice than mine, though.

Gonna move this one to Chainsaws. You'll likely find more and better discussion there.

That said, I don't sweat torque much on the clutch side. Running the saw will keep it at the right torque, more or less. That's why it's reverse-threaded. Just sorta snug it up and it'll stay put. Five bucks says a dozen guys will roll in here with better advice than mine, though.

LOL!! Nope I think you covered it pretty well

That's how I do them. Put bar & chain on cut wood.
Shep

Just make sure the bar and chain are on before starting the saw up the first time round after the install. I once witnessed a clutch leave the building and travel across a big, 200' plus parking lot when the engine was shut off.

Definitely......I had that happen on a saw that I had just put together. I was not patient enough to but the B&C on...wanted to hear it run and the clutch was torqued down good and tight too.....matter of fact...after that episode I never start a saw without a B&C installed even if the clutch hasn't been touched.....once was enough for me to learn.

Good Morning Everyone! Thanks so much for all your posts and advice on this install. I've had this 'ol beast since it was about two years' old and got it on trade. It has served us well and with little maintenance, so decided to give it a look see between seasons to spruce it up and get it ready for spring. Glad to know the bar and chain should be installed before running; saw various opinions on this and wanted to cover all the bases. Thanks again and Happy New Year to everyone!

Definitely......I had that happen on a saw that I had just put together. I was not patient enough to but the B&C on...wanted to hear it run and the clutch was torqued down good and tight too.....matter of fact...after that episode I never start a saw without a B&C installed even if the clutch hasn't been touched.....once was enough for me to learn.

A cutting buddy of mine had just put a new clutch on his favorite 266 at the vehicle garage where we were readying the snow removal gear. I heard him start the saw but my back was turned to him . Saw started and was revved a couple times then shut off, almost immediately I heard a bang and seen a whirring object leaving a string of sparks and dust leave the shop floor out the big roll up door and travel out of sight across the lot. I made a mental note not to ever do that myself.

Most all saws I work on, have chain brakes.
My usual way of tightening clutch is to let the saw do the job. I do this a little different in that I just snug the clutch tight, install the cover with chain brake using flat washers in place of bar, or install bar, apply brake and start saw.
I then release brake accelerate to wide open and quickly apply brake under full throttle. I do this a couple of times.
With no chain brake, I snug down and install Bar/Chain and immediately cut under load.
I might add that with virtually all my saws, I start the saw and tune without the clutch, being careful to not over-rev engine.

I was at a woodsman contest about 25 years ago. A guy was warming up a hot saw. The guy I was talking to said “you know, that saw WIIL blow up if he doesn’t quit winding it up like that.” Just then the motor locked up. Fast. The outboard clutch broke loose due to the sudden stoppage. It cut a hole right through the side cover, shot across the ring and laid by the fence smoking. That left a real impression on me.

Back