Insulating OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your're right, I modified a Taylor 450 and I had to take off the metal panels and the foam to do some welding and the metal was rusted pretty bad. I used a grinder with a wire brush and cleaned the metal good and primed it with a rusty primer and painted it. Then I insulated it with fiberglass bats and relined it. Alot of the foam was loose, I think the foam came loose by the metal expanding and contracting and then it allow the metal to sweat. Metal is going to move around when it's being heated. Unless they make a foam that is flexible I think the manufactures are going to have a problem with the foam pulling loose from the metal tank.

How old was your Taylor when this happened?

I think spray foam is the best insulation. Priming the metal first is a great idea...I have a newer Taylor, hopefully they started doing that in the manufacturing process.

How old was your Taylor when this happened?

I think spray foam is the best insulation. Priming the metal first is a great idea...I have a newer Taylor, hopefully they started doing that in the manufacturing process.

I got this stove from a relative in 2008. It has s-91 welded on a channel at the back, so I'm assuming it's a 1991. My relative had this stove in a shed it was covered from rain but the front of the shed was open. I got the stove and was modifying it and when I took the foam off some of it was loose and some was still tight. Even the tight places was rusted too. The bottom looked good but that's because the bottom is stainless steel. I wondered if part of the chemical of the foam adhesive could have made it rust. I'm not sure the reason for rusting. It could've been from breaking loose and then sweating. Maybe if the foam stays tight to the metal all around and doesn't allow any air to get in between then it might not rust.

After taking my stove apart and seeing the foam loose,tight, and the rust. I was asking myself how could you insulate this stove right. The tank was only 1/8" thick, so I know this stove is going to be moving around when it's heating up and down. I just don't think foam is going to stick to metal when it's expanding and contracting. When I was checking for leaks I filled up the stove with water and saw the tank pop and move around.

After taking my stove apart and seeing the foam loose,tight, and the rust. I was asking myself how could you insulate this stove right. The tank was only 1/8" thick, so I know this stove is going to be moving around when it's heating up and down. I just don't think foam is going to stick to metal when it's expanding and contracting. When I was checking for leaks I filled up the stove with water and saw the tank pop and move around.

i thought about spraying 2" thick, with page wire wrapped 1" above......

Latest posts

Back