Intercom helmets?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjo75

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone use the intercom systems on your helmets? I've been thinking about rigging one up or just buying a set if I can find one in my price range. When I'm 80 ft up and the groundman is on the tractor getting ready to pull a top, I think it would really pay off instead of hollering all day. Most of the time we give hand signals and know what each other is needing but there are times that it would really pay off. Any recommendations on brand or type? The intercoms that are bluetooth, do you have to have your phone with you or can you leave it in the truck.? Thanks, Ben.

What's the purpose of bluetooth? So you can take phone calls or listen to music? I'm assuming they work without it just for communicating? How about the range. I guess they won't have any trouble on a normal size job site. We're hardly ever over about 100 yards apart.

Mine are crystal clear at those ranges. It's my understanding that they blue tooth to each other for the com part but I'm not absolutely sure. They work for just coms without using any other features. You apparently can take phone calls. I really should setup that on mine at some point.

Just buy the sena kit on Amazon. They're stupid simple to install and alot cheaper. Smh10 or the smh10r which is more compact.
Pulling tops with a tractor? That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen

Thanks all for the advice. I think I'm going to order a couple.

We do pull some with a tractor. I've only been doing it for 25 years but it's worked so far. I won't have just anyone on the tractor though. It's been the same person all these years. I wouldn't do it if I had new guys coming and going like some of the others I see. They might just decide to take the tractor to lunch about the time they tie it off. Some of the big pine tops with back lean are very hard to pull by hand. A lot of times we can pull a top then fall the spar. I don't want to have to do a lot of extra cutting just to offset the top. Plus we don't usually have to pull hard. Most of the time it's just a little more that a couple of guys can pull and rigging up a 3 to 1 or breaking out the Maasdam rope puller takes too long. And we all know what it looks like to have the guys on the ground using the pickup to pull with looks like. I'll set a rope in the top and put the tension on it just enough to move the top a little. Once it looks like it will fall then I make my backcut. I'll get my hinge just right then lightly pull it over. Like I've said, I've only been doing it for 25 years but it's worked so far.

Back