Interesting 051

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rounder

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
At the shop this morning, looking over their projects. Came across a new one.
051 with a factory removable head 075 cylinder.

The owner and his former biz partner went to Germany quite a few years ago. He picked up the 051 and his partner picked up a 10 cube 090. Seems Stihl gave very special treatment to dealers that moved a pile of saws back then.

Anyhow, very intersting saw, curious if anyone else has run into one of these. I'm guessing Jacob could provide more details on these saws. Supposedly they only made about 20 of these 51's.

That sounds like an interesting saw Sam. Did you snag any pictures?

That sounds like an interesting saw Sam. Did you snag any pictures?

I did not. No paint, just polished up. Not sure if it came from Stihl that way, or if Steve did it. He only uses it once a year at a local logger's day. He and his hot-rod 51 vs. his son's ported 56 mag2.

At the shop this morning, looking over their projects. Came across a new one.
051 with a factory removable head 075 cylinder.

The owner and his former biz partner went to Germany quite a few years ago. He picked up the 051 and his partner picked up a 10 cube 090. Seems Stihl gave very special treatment to dealers that moved a pile of saws back then.

Anyhow, very intersting saw, curious if anyone else has run into one of these. I'm guessing Jacob could provide more details on these saws. Supposedly they only made about 20 of these 51's.

Hey Sam-

Yeah, I've seen two of those. Saw-King has one here locally on display in his shop and it's a real beauty. Him and another technician that were in a Stihl dealership in the early 70's got to demo a bunch of neat saws from Stihl including the 10-cube 090 (w/removable head) and the 111cc 050/051 (also w/removable head.) The dealership sold the 051 and it took Saw-King about 30 years to track down where it had been and he was able to buy it back. It sounds unreal for an 051/075.

The ten-cube 090 is a truly special machine. A logging company owner here that has his own Stihl shop got to go to Germany and meet Hans-Peter Stihl and tour the factory. Roger got two of the ten-cube 090s, and sent one of them out to the woods when he came back and it was smashed flat by a giant Fir. The other he kept and I think he still has it.

Good stuff JJ. They have the one complete 51/75, one crushed parts saw, and one oem p/c kit. Pretty cool stuff.

The 10 cube 090 is sitting in the guy's garage, very close to home. The shop has first dibbs on it when that time comes. Which means I'll get to run it.

The 2 piece head 51/75 is pretty slick though, I'll try and snap some pics next Saturday - Sam

I've seen two of the 10-cube 090's now, but never one of the 051/075's. The latter are especially interesting to me as an 051AV, along with a Homelite 410, were the first saws I ever spent any time running. Same job, can't remember exactly which I ran before the other.

I remember reading on here that the 051 with the 111cc piston & cylinder were the original prototypes that were tested before the 075's went into production. The saws with the removable head are pretty rare, but probably not as rare as a 10 cube 090.

The removable head cylinders are not stamped with any markings making them identifiable, which made things interesting when i acquired one until recent discussion of this. I had bought a lot of cylinders and misc parts and one of the mentioned cylinders was in the lot.

Good thread Sam, and good info J.J. I had never heard of such a thing. So with the removable head what is the difference between that, and standard? And the 10 cube 090 what is the difference between that, and other 090's?

Good thread Sam, and good info J.J. I had never heard of such a thing. So with the removable head what is the difference between that, and standard? And the 10 cube 090 what is the difference between that, and other 090's?

The 10 cube 090s are like 150cc. Very rare.

The 10 cube 090s are like 150cc. Very rare.

Milling machine extraordinaire, methinks!
drool1.gif

I remember reading on here that the 051 with the 111cc piston & cylinder were the original prototypes that were tested before the 075's went into production. The saws with the removable head are pretty rare, but probably not as rare as a 10 cube 090.

The removable head cylinders are not stamped with any markings making them identifiable, which made things interesting when i acquired one until recent discussion of this. I had bought a lot of cylinders and misc parts and one of the mentioned cylinders was in the lot.

I think that is very likely - actually was thinking of that possibility before I read you post! :smile2:

Does anyone know what company stihl used to make original 051av cylinders? I’m investigating a suspicious p/c I found in what I thought was a 051av half wrap idk....

Did gildironni make a run of these for stihl? Who made the removable cyl head prototype cylinders anybody know?? Sorry I’m board

Back