Interesting warning on chainsaw boots....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wife'nHubby

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Interesting warning on electric chainsaws vs chainsaw boots....

Lesson on "Live & Learn" or put this in the "For What It's Worth Department":

So I started working (on my own) with a chainsaw last fall. Bought what we could afford at the time (Craftsman electric chainsaw). Thought it was pretty safe to use - and then discovered AS and PPE.

Having very recently been blessed with a new-to-me 026 I figured I needed some 'things' so I spent some of my afternoon searching AS looking for recommendations for chainsaw boots containing Kevlar. Anyway, while researching what type of chainsaw footware I should be wearing, I looked at the Stihl chainsaw boots which contain Kevlar and saw this warning on their website:

WARNING FOR ELECTRIC CHAIN SAW USERS!
The fibers will not stop the sprocket on most electric chain saws because of their constant high torque.

(source: http://www.stihldealer.net/productdetails-dealer-015179-prodid-678.aspx)

Kind of scary reading that warning - even though I have been wearing my chaps when using the electric chainsaw. It sounds like my chaps wouldn't have stopped this saw either.

Anyone want to buy a slightly used electric chainsaw???????

Shari

Last edited:
Lesson on "Live & Learn" or put this in the "For What It's Worth Department":

So I started working (on my own) with a chainsaw last fall. Bought what we could afford at the time (Craftsman electric chainsaw). Thought it was pretty safe to use - and then discovered AS and PPE.

Having very recently been blessed with a new-to-me 026 I figured I needed some 'things' so I spent some of my afternoon searching AS looking for recommendations for chainsaw boots containing Kevlar. Anyway, while researching what type of chainsaw footware I should be wearing, I looked at the Stihl chainsaw boots which contain Kevlar and saw this warning on their website:

WARNING FOR ELECTRIC CHAIN SAW USERS!
The fibers will not stop the sprocket on most electric chain saws because of their constant high torque.

(source: http://www.stihldealer.net/productdetails-dealer-015179-prodid-678.aspx)

Kind of scary reading that warning - even though I have been wearing my chaps when using the electric chainsaw. It sounds like my chaps wouldn't have stopped this saw either.

Anyone want to buy a slightly used electric chainsaw???????

Shari

Electrics are the debil!!!

Congrats on the new Stihl!! You're gonna love your new freedom off of the leash and the greater control!!

It is counterintuitive that the Electric is actually more dangerous than a loud& oily Gas saw. But there it is. Creepy.

I have been considering boots as well, as I seem to always be bucking logs on the ground amoung vines and briars that often will snag the chain as it comes out of the cut causing a small jump.

Bieng Paw conscious at all times is working, but sooner or later the animal bites if ya keep teasing it.

Whaddya think of the new saw??

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I haven't had a chance to "dig in" with it yet. We had out of town company for the weekend and had to get ready for them, etc., etc. Hopefully tomorrow I can get out and find some proper footwear so I don't become known as the one-legged-old-lady-trying-to-cut-firewood on the AS list. :):):) I did manage to get out to a Stihl dealer and buy a chain guard and then over to NT for a scrench for it though. I am anxious to give it a spin but am also very respectful of what it can do if not used correctly. I understand there are also videos on AS & a safety video on the Stihl website so I am checking them out before diving in. I will post back with a count of hands, fingers, feet/legs & toes which remain on my person after my first spin with my new tool! :)

Shari

I haven't had a chance to "dig in" with it yet. We had out of town company for the weekend and had to get ready for them, etc., etc. Hopefully tomorrow I can get out and find some proper footwear so I don't become known as the one-legged-old-lady-trying-to-cut-firewood on the AS list. :):):) I did manage to get out to a Stihl dealer and buy a chain guard and then over to NT for a scrench for it though. I am anxious to give it a spin but am also very respectful of what it can do if not used correctly. I understand there are also videos on AS & a safety video on the Stihl website so I am checking them out before diving in. I will post back with a count of hands, fingers, feet/legs & toes which remain on my person after my first spin with my new tool! :)

Shari

You're a quick study Shari.

Don't be afraid of wearing out the Chain brake is all I can offer ya.
It's the one habit I have that is healthy, and has saved me money.:hmm3grin2orange:

Maybe one of the guys has a collection of saw operation video links?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

safety classes

Wife and Hubby, It will take me some time to get you the correct info,but for the last couple of years they have been having game of logging classes over in Baraboo, Wis. I believe they were held at a Aldo Leopold Nature Center or something to that effect.I would highly recomend checking theses classes out, especially G.O.L 1, which should cover all aspects of safety and PPE, along with basic felling techniques. -ken

Shari
Please be ever mindful of where the tip of the saw is and avoid contact with anything. The difference in kick back from a gas saw with good chain is a world apart from a small tipped home owner saw wearing safety chain.

Any PPE is better than none. Stay safe and congrat's on the new saw !

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I worked with my Dad in the woods for years when I was kid/teen but that is WAY too many years ago to even mention. Hubby & I worked together too but not anywhere near as much as when I was a kid. I can tell you this: Yum! I love the smell of newly sawn wood and didn't realize how much I missed it! (Better than a new car smell!)

When the 'delivery man' :):):) dropped off the saw we had a short instruction period where I also learned about not using the 'monkey gripe' - I am so glad that was mentioned! I hadn't been paying attention to how I was holding the electric saw and would bet my bottom dollar I was doing the monkey gripe without realizing it. When I was driving the car today I noticed I was monkey gripping the steering wheel and quickly changed my gripe just to practice for the saw. :)

I'm sure I will post some 'dummy chainsaw' questions in the future so please bear with me as I know this is THE place to learn the correct way to do things.

Shari

Wife and Hubby, It will take me some time to get you the correct info,but for the last couple of years they have been having game of logging classes over in Baraboo, Wis. I believe they were held at a Aldo Leopold Nature Center or something to that effect.I would highly recomend checking theses classes out, especially G.O.L 1, which should cover all aspects of safety and PPE, along with basic felling techniques. -ken

Ken,

Thanks for the info on the Baraboo classes but I can't go that far from home right now with hubby being sick. We have to adhere to a 1 hr. distance from his hospital in Milwaukee. I could go by myself and have others in the family be with him but I would be a basket case being that far away from him. Shoot, we even have a grandchild due to be born in Marshfield, WI (3+ hrs. north of us) in about 2 weeks and we will have to wait to see the baby until they can come to us.

Shari

Monkeys don't have opposible thumbs, WE DO !
When we use a tool properly we are holding it in our hand with our thumb wrapped around the tool to grasp it firmly. They cant do this and should the saw jump/kick it may come out of your hand causing immense destruction after control is lost or you fall on the running saw.

I'm sure I will post some 'dummy chainsaw' questions in the future so please bear with me as I know this is THE place to learn the correct way to do things.

Shari

The only dumb question is the one that should have been asked and was not. Often, it is only when it is too late that the would be questioner learns of his (or her) error.

I enjoy your posts, and in general, it seems that AS members have a genuine appreciation for the female participants in the forum. Knowing there's a smattering of women here keeps some members from going too far in posting fart jokes, etc. Not me, of course. I am completely above that mentality. Wood Doctor and avalancher, stop your laughing this instant.

and in general, it seems that AS members have a genuine appreciation for the female participants in the forum. Knowing there's a smattering of women here keeps some members from going too far in posting fart jokes, etc. Not me, of course. I am completely above that mentality. Wood Doctor and avalancher, stop your laughing this instant.

Well.... then... would this be the time.... to say... I can't undo the clips on the legs of my chainsaw chaps and hubby has to help me undo them? In other words, I can't get out of my pants and hubby has to help me. Now, contain your laughter, and clean up your minds everyone!

I am serious - I have arthritis in my thumb(s) and can't get a good gripe on the clips on my chaps so will have to retrofit a velcro closure or something.

Keep responses clean everyone! :):):)

Shari

Back