Intro and Questions:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shome10x

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Forum,

New member w/ intro and questions....

Many years ago, as a teen, father and I spent many weekend cutting firewood for sale. I started w/ a Poulan for limbing as soon as I was big enough and comfortable to carry/use a saw. One season with the green and I moved to a Homelite Super XL. Another season and moved to my favorite,JRED(I think it was a 720?). It was a great saw as long as you could keep ignition modules in it. These saws were all mine as a teen.

In our "stable" we had 38s,44s and a few more that I can't remember. The nostalgic favorite was a C51 that father loved to run. We'd race w/ the Jred, but he would always win. The short bar and .404 chain was the advantage.

Now for the question: I do have a remaining 38av from 25 years ago. Do you have specific checklist to "go thru" and tune/check a saw? Years ago I did all the maintenance, but I didn't get in the more technical tuning. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris G. in MO

JRED correction...

Looking at the collectors corner...that old jred was a 920. It was my favorite...cg

I am not exactly sure what you are asking. Does the saw run?

Either way, for an old saw that I wanted to get "UP to SNUFF",
I would consider:

1. Checking or replacing all rubber hoses.
2. replace or clean Fuel and Air filters
3. Maybe clean and put kit in the Carb.
4. Rinse/clean oil and fuel tanks and nice fresh fuel and bar oil
5. check bar/sproket/ and chain for wear.
6. let er rip.

More Detail....

Nice list, I guess I'm looking for more detail. Like compression? What are average #'s? Common areas to check, common simple tests...

The saw currently doesn't run. It was packaged about 15yrs, after an "inlaw" borrowed it. Its condition is rough, but I'm cleaning it up and am going to give it a try. If worse comes to worse, are these saws worth rebuilding? Or should I just buy new?

cg

If worse comes to worse, are these saws worth rebuilding? Or should I just buy new?

You should rebuild... and buy new! Check this board & eBay for parts as they should be available. Then go out and buy yourself a couple of new saws.

When I joined this site I had one saw....

Back