Introduction and a couple questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael M

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am located about 30 miles North of Pittsburgh Pa. and in the market for a OWB, just started reasearching (a little) and am looking for a dealer for either a "central boiler" or "Shaver??" Right now I have a forced air furnace "oil...ouch" Anyway it makes no sense at all that I don't have one yet:dizzy: I own 25 acres of woods that joins my fathers 50 acres of woods. I also sell hardwood lumber and give truck loads of cut-offs and shorts away to people.
I started cutting and splitting right after Christmas some blow downs and other trees I want taken. I have lots ready so far and for some strange reason am totally addicted to cutting firewood. I have a skid steer that makes life easy as well.
So if anyone has any input on make and a dealer for an OWB I would really appreciate it.

Thanks Mike

gasification

I would research wood gasifiers. Otherwise cut more wood, lots of it.I built my own owb. works well but likes wood, loves it actually, some days it can't seem to get enough of it lol.
But they sure do beat the dangers and the mess of an indoor heat source.

welcome to the forum.

excellent site and you'll learn alot here from the best on the internet. these guys are the greatest!!!

sounds like you have the perfect set up.

however, before you invest alot of money, just check with local ordinances. seems that many states are cracking down on OWB's lately and writing some stiff laws on the books.

even some in your state:

www.co.berks.pa.us/exeter/lib/exeter/ordinances/burningordinance.pdf

Last edited:
Plan on using about 10-12 cords of wood a season, depending on whether you are heating a barn or garage, hot water, etc.

Welcome to AS

Welcome aboard, lots of good people and information here on the AS forum. The search feature is your friend while doing research on OWB and even try some of the brands you mentioned. See what dealers you have local and go out and take a look at them, and ask for a local reference list or drive around some neighborhoods and look and see what others in your area are using. Sounds like you got good harvest acreage for cutting your own wood, thats a big plus... Also think of some features you want, I like the forced draft air (blower keeps the wood burning) and my ash door, easy to empty out the ashes. Like someone else said if you have close neighbors or don't live rural, you might check your local ordinances.

I wish you the best, I've had mine about 5 weeks and love it, should have done it earlier. I check the stove every morning and evening and have gotten some easy 14 - 18 hour burns, but normally top it off 6:00am and 5:30pm.

I am located about 30 miles North of Pittsburgh Pa. and in the market for a OWB, just started reasearching (a little) and am looking for a dealer for either a "central boiler" or "Shaver??" Right now I have a forced air furnace "oil...ouch" Anyway it makes no sense at all that I don't have one yet:dizzy: I own 25 acres of woods that joins my fathers 50 acres of woods. I also sell hardwood lumber and give truck loads of cut-offs and shorts away to people.
I started cutting and splitting right after Christmas some blow downs and other trees I want taken. I have lots ready so far and for some strange reason am totally addicted to cutting firewood. I have a skid steer that makes life easy as well.
So if anyone has any input on make and a dealer for an OWB I would really appreciate it.

Thanks Mike

I was aware of some of the new regs coming out. Thats another reason I want to get one now. My house is pretty far off the road and closest neighbor is about 500'. I wouldn't put it past even my local township to try and pass some ban or something. But to be honest once I put one in it's staying!

Here is what I try and do every afternoon, I cut and split at least one bucket full every day. I just love doing it. Not sure why but I do.

Crappy cell phone pic

owb

Looks like the new 2300 Central Boiler is a very good way to go. They meet 2010 EPA regulations and local dealer told me they burn between 25 to 30% less wood than the 6048 model which is the same size. I am new to the site and really enjoy cutting wood also and hope to get a 2300 installed this summer. The shaver owb looks like a good unit but I don't know anybody that has one. Central boilers make up 80% of the owb around here and everyone has had nothing but good things to say about them.

I was aware of some of the new regs coming out. Thats another reason I want to get one now. My house is pretty far off the road and closest neighbor is about 500'. I wouldn't put it past even my local township to try and pass some ban or something. But to be honest once I put one in it's staying!

Here is what I try and do every afternoon, I cut and split at least one bucket full every day. I just love doing it. Not sure why but I do.

Crappy cell phone pic

Same... I think my g/f thinks I have some sort of mental illness, especially when I start verbally berating a chunk of wood that won't split, or something like that.

My house is 2600 Square Feet with a forced air oil furnace, and I would like to heat a 24-36 Detached garage/shop with floor heat.

Thanks Mike

Welcome Michael.

I have a Freedom owf, 2 seasons now, and have nothing but good words for it. I like it because you have the option of burning coal and since we are in the heart of coal country, it is a nice option. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions. I do not sell them btw, just use one....:cheers:

http://freedomoutdoorfurnace.com/eliminator.html

Welcome. What part of 30 miles North of Pittsburgh are you from. I know a guy from Clarion who is a dealer for owb's. I don't know which brand. Do a search on this forum and you will find tons of info. I'm remembering a thread a few months back that several guys talked the pro' and cons of various models. If I recall, 2 of the guys were former dealers and weren't pulling any punches.

I'm about 25 miles North of the burg

Hello mike, welcome to AS, if you don't mind me asking where in western pa do you live ( I am in Ellwood city )
I had a CB dealer from Lisbon Oh. come over a give me a quote on a OWB, there's a Freedom OWB dealer a mile from my house. I don't know much about them but they look well built and are a lot cheaper. If you need any info. on the CB or Freedom stove dealers just let me know.

Mike i just checked out you website and it looks like you run a A+ businesses, My question is do you buy logs?

Hey if you need a place to send a load of firewood, send it my way. LOL

Last edited:
I am between Evans City and Cranberry.

Yes a sometimes buy saw logs and I also buy lumber from wholesalers up north as well. I sell kiln dried lumber to people all over the US & Canada

I am pretty much a one man band, I don't sell an awful lot. Somewhere around 150,000 board feet per year.

Latest posts

Back