Iron and Oak log splitter, choices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiserx2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am going to be looking at two splitters tomorrow. Choosing between a 22 ton 5.5 hp Honda gx and a 26 to 9 hp Subaru robin. The cycle time on both is roughly 12 seconds, both are used, with the 22 ton slightly older. Both are iron and oak.

What should I be looking for and aware of in a used splitter?

With the price he same for both at $1400.00, which would you recommend.

i have a 20 ton fast cycle w 8 hp honda i have split over 1500 cords with their a good splitter i have had Manny over the years

All things being equal I would go with the larger splitter. No reason not too. I have heard that the Subaru is a good engine. Brand new, these splitters are close to the same in cost with the Honda GX.

If I was buying used for that money they would have to be in pretty good condition. I wouldn't pay that if they have been used hard. You can buy a number of brand new splitters that are pretty good for that amount of money or close to it with a warranty.

After starting both, I would look at the fluids. What do the oil and hydraulic fluid look like? When were they changed last? Are the hoses in good shape? Leaks? Tires? Does it have a lot of rust? How has it been stored? If it has been sitting outside, I wouldn't buy it personally for that amount. If you have to replace fluids, hoses, tires etc., you might as well buy new but that is just me. If it has been sitting out you will likely have to replace hoses at the least. I am particular about my stuff though.

I am leaning toward the larger 26 ton splitter. It seems to make the mot sense. The guy selling says its two yrs old and used for roughly 15 hrs or 4 times. I would be saving roughly 800 dollars which if true would be worth it.

Does anyone know if these splitters come standard with hwy rated tires. The guy I am buying from was not sure last night.

I have the 26 Ton with the GX on it. I believe it's a little over 3 years old. Likely the same frame as the one you are considering.

Don't know what the rating is on the tires, but I have pulled it on the highway. I don't care for the play between the beam and the hitch. Before I tow it on the road anymore, I'm going to address that.

If the condition and price are the same, I would go for the larger one myself. My I&O has the Honda engine, but there are NO flies on that Robin! My Hotsy pressure washer has the Robin and I would rate it easily within the same class as the Honda.

Back