Iron and Oak splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe B

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have found an Iron & Oak wood splitter for sale; I can not find a model # on this unit but the serial is # s 07335
It is 20 ton vertical-horizontal unit with 8 hp briggs engine,
Owner says it was new in Oct of 2004. Would $800.oo be a fair price?

It seems reasonable to me based on the info given.

Have you seen it run/work? If not, I would ask that he start it and run it for a bit to try it out and make sure all is good.

Thanks
He has offered to let me bring it home and try it out a couple of hours before I buy it if I want. I'm kind of new at this what should I look for while trying it on this test drive?
Joe B

That the engine has no obvious defects, noises that shouldn't be there and that there is no oil of any kind leaking. Otherwise, they are pretty simple units. He probably figures if he lets you take it home you'll be back with cash.

Matt

I would have the owner start the splitter and demonstrate its operation, before you leave his property. This should cover any obvious problems. Once you leave his property if you break it you bought it.

Engine Oil?

Pull the dipstick on the engine and check the condition of the oil. Then take a flashlight and look down into the dipstick hole and see if the metal is shiney. Be cautious if dipstick is burnt in color, or black metal or chunks inside dipstick hole. This will help determine if he took care of the unit or not.

Well I went over there while ago he fired it right up started and ran good.
Ran it through several cycles maybe 5 or 6 and 2 or three drops of oil dripped out of the cylinder around the shaft. Don't see any damage scratches, nicks, etc on the shaft just leaking. And that is with no load on it. I am still going to use it for a few hours before I buy it. How serious could this leak be and what expense can I expect to get it repaired? If is just an o-ring or seal may not be to bad I don't know to much about these things. But if it is going to be $500.00 or so for a new cylinder I don't think I will need it.
Thanks again
Joe B

Ran it through several cycles maybe 5 or 6 and 2 or three drops of oil dripped out of the cylinder around the shaft. Don't see any damage scratches, nicks, etc on the shaft just leaking. And that is with no load on it. I am still going to use it for a few hours before I buy it. How serious could this leak be and what expense can I expect to get it repaired? If is just an o-ring or seal may not be to bad I don't know to much about these things. But if it is going to be $500.00 or so for a new cylinder I don't think I will need it.
Thanks again
Joe B

regarding an o-ring kit. They can range anywhere for a few bucks to a few hundred depending of cyl brand and size. If it were me I'd almost look toward the end seal instead. they wear out faster do to movement of the shaft and debri's(very small stuff like wood dust)following the shaft back in. A few drops doesn't sound that bad. Try it out after you point out there is leakage already. If it didn't get signicantly worse I wouldn't worry tooooo much. Go ahead and price yourself a new cylinder anyway, just to be in the know

Last edited:
joe-b I have Iron and Oak splitter. But I brought it two years ago it has 9hp honda engine. It 22 ton vertical-horizontal. I paid $2400.00 for it. It great because it has 8 second cycle time. I had know probloms so far. I splitter over 45 cords with so far.
carl

cylinder leak

I have the I&O comercial model. My cylinder started to leak some, I called I&O and I ended up just tightening it up a bit with a pipe wrench. Other than that I havn't had any problems with it. Check their web site for current prices, very freindly folks when I had any qestions about their products.

cyl seals

Thanks again
Joe B

Call,. Iron and Oak with that serial number, They can tell you how much a seal kit will cost, Can you post a pic of that machine, Sounds like a good deal If you need a splitter,.Its probably a domestic cylinder and seals should,nt be more than 25-30 bucks, A pic would be helpful, If its one of the better models it wont last long, Maybe offer him 750.00 to cover the seals, T,C, E,J,

Brave (same mfg.) recalled my cylinder. Could be Iron and Oak had the same cylinders, get in touch with them.

Though I only have experience with my Brave 26 ton, even the 'defective' cylinder run through dozens of cords over 4+ years never leaked oil.

Since you're new to this, if he doesn't give you an owners manual I'll give you the simplest advice I can: NEVER have your hands located anywhere the piston can travel, even if you're not cycling it.

It's a good unit and that's a great price. I've dealt with Brave for parts and they are top rate. Also, the manuals and parts lists are on-line.

Here are a couple of pix of the splitter. Pointed out that leak to him and he came down to 700.00 after I told him how poor I am. I think I will take my chances and buy it. Thanks for all your advice. By the way don't hear ya'll say much about Echo saws I have 2 and CST610EVT twin cyl and CS3450 really like them

I've got an Iron and Oak also. Great machines. Definitely go over the machine, from fluid levels to air in the tires. Spend some time now on it, or a lot of time later on fixing stuff. Good buy and good luck with your new equipment :clap: .

Iron and Oak

Here are a couple of pix of the splitter. Pointed out that leak to him and he came down to 700.00 after I told him how poor I am. I think I will take my chances and buy it. Thanks for all your advice. By the way don't hear ya'll say much about Echo saws I have 2 and CST610EVT twin cyl and CS3450 really like them

Thats a GOOD lookin hunk of Iron, Good price to, Keep us posted on the seal kit, T,C, E,J,

Nice score on a good unit. $700 is a steal in my opinion. You'll never be sorry and that will last you a lifetime with proper maintainance. :clap:

Cool saw that CS 610 EVL. Little heavy for the power but I love the sound of them. Reminds me of an old ski doo opposed twin I had as a kid.

Last edited:
Nice!

Good looking unit there for $700.00. I think the ram should be stored retracted, not fully extended? Maybe some else can comment? It would protect it?

Good looking unit there for $700.00. I think the ram should be stored retracted, not fully extended? Maybe some else can comment? It would protect it?

Yes, the ram should be retracted when stored..if this is how the guy was in fact storing it I would look that unit over VERY carefully because he probably did little else for upkeep on it also.

For $700? Not bad deal as long as it is in decent shape and operates without problems. But check it over good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back