Iron & Oak Log Splitter (Pic Heavy)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice splitter

what were your other options and why did you choose that one.??? looks great putting it to good use. wish i had a splitter but i have other things i have to get first.

~snip~

what were your other options and why did you choose that one.???

American - I liked their similar unit but the shipping added quite a bit on top of a unit that was a couple of hundred bucks more than the I/O.

Super Split - I get into a lot of very big wood. Trying to get a 200 + pound round/section onto a table just didn't interest me at all.

Speeco/Husky - A little slower cycle time and I did want a Honda GX engine.
I have heard that the Robbins is very good. .
Also, I don't care for the channel design of how the ram is guided down the beam. I have split lots of cords of wood with a Husky and they are a good unit. Just didn't care for cleaning out that channel all the time.

Troy Built/MTD/Yard Machines/etc. - Decent units (owned one for a while) but the cycle time is very slow.

Why I bought this particular unit for I/O?

It seemed like the most bang for the buck at the time. The 22 ton machines were actually more money than the 26 ton.

Why a Vert/Horiz unit?

I don't mind running the splitter from a kneeling position. I can split all day and not have any back pain at all. I just use knee pads or a chunk of old carpeting.

Even with the couple of issues I've had with this unit, I would buy another. I would likely get a Robbins engine if I had it to do all over again. They have good reviews and it would have saved a couple of hundred bucks.

Hope this helps.

hey thanks

thanks that helps alot. did you ever look into timberwolf?? i will definely look into the iron and oak

thanks that helps alot. did you ever look into timberwolf?? i will definely look into the iron and oak

The Timberwolf similar model to the I/O was around $600.00 more thank the I/O.

With a cycle times nearly the same, I just ruled them out.

They are beautifully built but they are pricey.

We have a TW dealer just up the road. If I bought two, (a friend was looking at splitters the same time I was) he would knock $150.00 off the shipping.
It just wasn't enough to make it worth it to me.

just got back from rental center they carry the 22ton iron oak. me and a guy down the street are going to rent it in a few weeks. 70 bucks to rent it 35 bucks each. cant wait to try it out.

Latest posts

Back