Is 95.00 a good price on a Stihl 042AV?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yet i spent hours toiling over my Tanaka splitting the case halves to replace 8" of fuel line...go figure.:dizzy:

Sounds like a bad design to me. Is it? being serious here.

Now if you need someone to adopt 1 of your 260's I might know of a loving home that could nurse it back to health and keep it busy:cheers:

Groan.... The 025 doesn't hold a candle...

Maybe you should tune them? 026 - 14K wot is spec, and they do fine at 14,500 with a couple of small extra holes in the muffler....

He wont take me up my offer Andy, he's afraid that if I get that 260 smoking he'll have to eat that big ole crow thats been following him around. :laugh:

Sounds like a bad design to me. Is it? being serious here.

Now if you need someone to adopt 1 of your 260's I might know of a loving home that could nurse it back to health and keep it busy:cheers:

It's an old saw...rear cylinder, tanks up front, etc..

The carb is on top in the back, fuel line runs into a barrier about halfway up the case, and into the plastic fuel tank after about 1" of empty space.

You obviously have to remove the recoil, flywheel, ignition, rear handle and controls, A/V parts, then remove the screws thar hold the case together. Remove the carb, intake spacer, gaslets, etc..

A few taps and alot of luck, the case splits. The crankshaft rides on bearings in the case, there isnt a "block". The cylinder bolts too the case. Also you have to unbolt, but not remove the cylinder.

Then you remove the fuel tank, make up some line that fits, because the hole in the tank is 1/4" and needs a special grommet that is NLA..so you oil up some small line, run it through a sleeve of some larger line, and put it into the hole in the tank, put on a filter, and start putting it back together. However, there is the matter that the crankcase is surrounded by the oil resevoir. The case halves actually form the oil resevoir. The barriers that meet at the center of the case halves are about 1/16" thick, and Id say, totalled about 3 feet of them that go around the perimiter of the case halves, around the crankcase section, oil resevoir section, fuel tank section, etc...and they all hav to be perfectly clean or it wont work. I scraped it all clean with a razor, and the gasket is NLA, so I used some "the right stuff" and put it on there, put it all back together, ran my line to the carb, added fresh oil to the resevoir, added fresh mix to the tank, and after a frw tense moments it popped. Choke in, pulled and it fired up and ran good. I tuned it in a little, ran better than it ever has. Also, no smoke means the oil resevoir isnt leaking into the crankcase...no leaks means I did good.

Still runs great...

Although on its first outing after the repair I discovered the new bar I put on it was broken. The thing would cut so good until it gout about an inch into the log, then it would just stop cutting completely. Took a few minutes, but the bar was splitting in the center.

New bar and OMG...it cuts great.

Bad design? I dont think so..the fuel line is very protected this way, the old line lasted a very long time. Could it have been done better? I think so.

I could do it faster now..the first time is always the most difficult.

Got to have that nice adjustable carb...

Probably not.... Unless you're above 4000 feet, even with a fixed jet carb it still puts out 20% more HP than an 025, and has more torque...

If you can't tell 20%.. maybe that's why you keep throwing Echo out as a comparision:greenchainsaw:

Probably not.... Unless you're above 4000 feet, even with a fixed jet carb it still puts out 20% more HP than an 025, and has more torque...

If you can't tell 20%.. maybe that's why you keep throwing Echo out as a comparision:greenchainsaw:

Maybe my 025 isnt stock? Maybe its had major port work, custom thin gasket and milled cylinder base?

Im just throwing it out there as a possibility..albeit farfetched.:monkey:

It could be 7 or 8hp maybe more.:chainsaw:

Once I revved it a little while on the ground...Date was December 26, 2004...anyone know what happened on that date? i believe the events that took place that day were caused by my 025.

Last edited:
Maybe my 025 isnt stock? Maybe its had major port work, custom thin gasket and milled cylinder base?

Im just throwing it out there as a possibility..albeit farfetched.:monkey:

It could be 7 or 8hp maybe more.:chainsaw:

Once I revved it a little while on the ground...Date was December 26, 2004...anyone know what happened on that date? i believe the events that took place that day were caused by my 025.

z7shysterical.gif

:monkey: Yep you're probably right Red, somebody probably milled the cylinder base and removed the base gasket to tighten up the crank bearings. :laugh:

You have much to learn young grasshopper.

z7shysterical.gif

:monkey: Yep you're probably right Red, somebody probably milled the cylinder base and removed the base gasket to tighten up the crank bearings. :laugh:

You have much to learn young grasshopper.

I was actually being sarcastic....but whatever.:dizzy:

Latest posts

Back