Is a 266 worth a Hoot?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the 2666se. I can't picture the day when I would sell it. If you get it,update with a review.

Last edited:
Whats wrong with a 30 year old saw if its not ran commercially just 5-6 cord a year sure.. I have a homelite 925 that we used for firewood for 25 years before we retired it and it still runs great.. That was 10+ years ago and the husky 365 he replaced it with still looks like new. Having said that I have seen 3 month old saws that were pretty well demolished by "Professional Loggers" I think some people just hate the look of nice shiny saws.. Others take care of stuff to last a lifetime.

just keep an eye out on the "bay" etc for jugs.... i recently picked up a oem jug and full skirt single ring piston for 266 and then picked up a secong full skirt single ring piston.....nice mahle stuff

Serg

Hey yokon you know what you can suck, yeah it's an 84 and it's still cuttin 25 years old to be exact give or take a month. I can't help it if your saws won't last for you. I 'll dig out the old camera so you can have a look.

Last edited:
My grand father was blocking 6 cord a year up untill last year, and burns soft wood in his kitchen stove which up untill 2007 he was cutting on his own land 12 cord total a year since 84 . I do the cutting for him now,I did'nt say that it was brand new it has a broken saftey handle and its pretty faded and the top cover is cracked be she still cuts. I'll post pics when I go over to his place and snap afew.

266xp

Jusr snagged me a 266xp on ebay it says it has 130 psi compression is that low for a 266 I noticed in the other thread 150/180 psi I was wondering if i should re ring the saw im getting?

It's on the low side, but might just run fine for a while. Get it, run it, and collect the knowledge and parts to do the job while you're using the saw. It's not a hard job at all. I personally am not crazy about just reringing the piston unless you make sure the piston is not excessively worn... it's not always simple to tell by eye. The good news is that a decent aftermarket piston is 35 bucks.

If you let a piston run too long, even on a well-cared for saw, you run a risk of snapping the piston skirts. That can be expensive. If you have a good set of calipers, you can measure the piston up well enough, and maybe you can get away with rings.

266xp

I worked on a lot of motorcross bikes and from what I have gathered some of these saws have nikosil or chrome plateing on the cylenders like moto x bikes and I know its not hard to seize or destroy a performance engine and can be costly so I would rather do a little preventive measures so it dont blow up costing me a a butch I have seen some bad damage from piston slap and bottom ends blown out from con rod failure mostly on dirt bikes but im not sure how tolerent a chainsaw engine is so.. I mean i have been running the two stroke oil for moto x in my saws or mixing it 50/50 to get the added castor oil im not to thrilled about the generic two stroke oil off the shelf.

Latest posts

Back