Is a coil swap possible?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
67L36Driver
The magneto is a Bendix on a Remington GL-7. The coil is a hopeless mess. I have been pealing back the layers trying to find a place to solder on a new connection for the spark plug wire. The wire (.003" dia.) is brittle and breaks before I can even get it tinned.

The laminated pole piece measures 3/8" square. I have a Wico coil off a later Remington that will fit on the pole piece. The outside insulation is a little larger on the Wico coil.

Both coils have the usual three connections. Lead to the points, ground wire and spark plug wire.

Would the Wico coil work on the Bendix, provided I have enuff room on the magneto plate?

67L36Driver
The short answer to your question is: YES. But a coil is available on Ebay. The same coil fits a Disston-Mercury DA-211 or a Mall 7H and many other Malls and Remingtons.
Igpoe:cheers:

Thanks bud.

What did you use in the search. I have been haunting evilbay using 'Remington, Bendix, Mall and Scintilla' with no meaningfull results (except for airplane magnetos.....Yikes!).

Carl.

67L36Driver

Looks like a good fall back move. Can't tell if the points and ground would be the same.

attachment.php

What it looks like after I chased the end of the tiny wire. The Wico Remy/Pioneer/Lombard and Homie coils are shown next to it. Homie coil is far left.

attachment.php

Wico coil in position it would occupy. May be too fat to fit.

attachment.php

I'll strip the old Bendix coil off the laminated pole piece and try it for size. Not loosing much at this juncture.

I did manage to save the coil on my Pro 88. (first picture)

67L36Driver
Prototype of setup.

The insulation guts from the coil extruded out the opposite end as I pressed in the laminated pole piece. The coil itself just barely fits in place, but, it fits. Points lead and ground are on the 'wrong' end but the plug wire is in an excellent place for a firm connection.

View attachment 241223

attachment.php

Now to file and sand the pole for some clearence on our next attempt.

Aaron:My Windows did an 'update' a few days ago. Lord know what that screwed up.

Hit reply w/quote and see if the link is there.

Carl.

67L36Driver
holy **** it works!!

Got back around to this experiment as the spark on my Pro 88 was too weak to get him to start a second time.

I just cobbled the connections together enuff so they would fit under the flywheel on the GL-7 and even left the plug wire 4 ft. long.

Got a fat blue spark on first pull.

I'm jumpin' thru me arse.

Eccentric

Eccentric

Mister Wizard
Got back around to this experiment as the spark on my Pro 88 was too weak to get him to start a second time.

I just cobbled the connections together enuff so they would fit under the flywheel on the GL-7 and even left the plug wire 4 ft. long.

Got a fat blue spark on first pull.

I'm jumpin' thru me arse.

That's quite a visual Carl.:D

67L36Driver
I needed another Wico coil for a more refined installation. I found it on a Wards 2.8/Remington SL-9.

I'll gather all the pictures and directions and post them into a 'how to' thread in a few days.

Meanwhile, drag them Golden/Silver Logmasters out and get 'em ready to rock.

Latest posts