Is a John Deere 2020 Suitable for a Farmi Logging Winch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEA

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Should I consider my John Deere 2020 (1968 model; 53 hp; 2WD; no loader) for use with a Farmi JL501? I have been researching this and want to get some opinions before I take the plunge and spend the $5000 for the winch. I want to know what I am getting into before I write the check. If I had unlimited funds, I would buy a newer 4WD tractor and the winch, but it is not possible at the moment. So, I am trying to get by with what I have and spend the money on the winch, assuming I have enough tractor.

Another question I have about logging winches deals with front end weight. I came across some information on the net that says if one uses a 2WD tractor with a logging winch, one should have approximately 10 pounds of suitcase weights on the front end for every 1 hp (assuming no front end loader). Since I have a 53 hp tractor, this line of thinking says that about 500 lbs (or so) of front end weight is necessary. My question is: What do those of you who have tractor logging winches have for front end weight? Right now I don't have any suitcase weights on the tractor as there is a steel, heavy duty tool box mounted to a removable bracket. So, I would have to buy the suitcase weight holder and the appropriate number of weights if I were to follow the recommendation mentioned above. I currently use a 5 ft bushhog (about 750 pounds) with no problems associated with a light front end. However, when I use my 7 foot 3 pt disk (about 1000 pounds) the tractor can get a little difficult to steer, especially when the gas tank is getting empty.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

I would think that your 2020 would make a great little rig with a winch.

As far as the front end weight... You might need some, but the 2020 is from the era where tractors were made heavy, not lightweight like they are today... you can always get the winch, and you'll be able to tell right away if you need more front weight or not... my guess would be that you might need some, but 500 pounds? I doubt it.

Best thing for you to get would be a FEL, and load the rear tires (or rear wheel weights) if you haven't already. FEL + Winch + Loaded rear tires = One capable little logging machine!

Latest posts

Back