Is a jump from 16hp to 22hp worth the cost difference on a BSM?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Timber

1/4 bubble off
Reaction score
Most of my milling is going to be smaller logs (15" and less) with the occasional 2'er - white/red oak is the toughest I have and don't have any pines to cut. I know the band speed is the reason for the bigger engines, but I'm wondering for my application if the bigger engine is needed since the boards aren't all that wide?

Robin engines in the 22hp range can be had for $1500 while numerous engines in the 14-16hp range can be had for a third of that.

Just trying to maximize my use of funds as I get ready to start the project.

Band speed will not increase with an increase in HP. Band speed will remain constant however the torque curve will change, thus you have more energy potential to do the work.

For what you are cutting your 16hp engine will suffice.

Higher band speeds are possible through taller gearing with more available horsepower to pull the increased load. If the engine was the only thing changed when switching between the two, what you said would be true, but this is a ground-up build and I can match the band speed to the available HP.

Band saws are designed for a specific speed (surface feet per minute). You need to match the optimum band speed to the engine's optimal RPM. The variable should the feed rate that maintains that combination. 16 hp will be noticeably slower in feed rate, especially in the larger logs. Try to go faster and you'll lug down the engine and get wavy cuts. You will learn to listen to the engine and adjust the feed rate accordingly. I agree with Hamish that 16 h.p. would be OK for your application, but the cheapest engine may not last long in a sawmill environment.

I'm after quality. I don't want to be replacing the thing every year or month or whatever. I don't have any issue spending the $1500 on the Robin if that's the better value.

Personally, I like the B&S ----------> "Vanguard" small motors, the 23hp can be bought for around $1,300.00

The bigger Vanguards are as good as or better than the other motors in this HP class, and make good power. I really like mine...

SR

I decided to go smaller for the first one, and will be using a 13hp. I figure I can learn on a cheaper version and expand on that once I have some idea of what I'm doing.

Thanks for all the help!

Surplus Center has a box of goodies which should be arriving next week, but I have guns to deal with before I can start making saw parts.

Latest posts

Back