Is a Shindaiwa 695 a wise choice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAS61

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ever since I picked-up my 446s Shinsaw I've been extremely impressed with the quality. I've been thinking of getting a 60-70cc saw to round out the lineup for when I occasionbally need to tackle some big stuff, and was thinking a 695 might be a good option - people seem to love them, and their lack of popularity makes them a lot more affordable than the orange alternatives. But does their parts availability and Shindaiwa's absence from the US make this a shortsighted decision? Would a Makita 6401 for $300 from HD Rentals be a better choice?

Thanks,
Russ

The shindaiwa is a good choice.parts availability is good through echo dealers as of right now.

The 695 is a good saw but personally I end up using the 577 more for what I cut and grab the 757 if I need something bigger. But if didn't have the other two I wouldn't be put out running a 695 at all. If I was ever in need of a saw capable of running more than a 24" bar I would opt for a 757.

It is not as good as the 757 but I like to rotate mine in every once in a while it is a pretty powerful saw. How much are they asking for it? They are really hard to find and parts are even harder unless I am looking in the wrong places.

How much are they asking for it? They are really hard to find and parts are even harder unless I am looking in the wrong places.
I don't have one in my sights at the moment, I was just thinking of adding a bigger saw and thought I might keep an eye out for one. If they are that rare to find, that might solve the problem right there.

I'm interested in a 680 just because.
I have one but I don't remember where I got it but I have been waiting for some parts for it. When I got it the piston was burned up but the cylinder was good so after it set for a year and I couldn't get a piston I took the old piston and sanded it down and cleaned it up and put some good 695 rings on it and it runs decent. It also needs the clutch side case half it is broke where it comes together with the clutch cover but it runs.

go with a hd 6401. later you can up it to 79cc with the 7900PC. You will then own the very best Power/Weight ratio saw out there.

I have been waiting for some parts for it
This seems to be a bigger and bigger concern as time goes by. I also had a great opportunity on a local EFCO 156 that was dirt cheap and very clean. I thought about getting it and upgrading the P&C to 62cc's, and despite that saw only being about 8 years old, parts where very scarce and jug kits impossible to find.

go with a hd 6401.
For a lot of reasons this is seeming more and more like the smart decision.

A 757 would be a good saw and you can still get parts for it and you can still find them around more readily.

Latest posts

Back