Is a Stihl 510 really worth this much?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think there was a top handle S10 made, maybe someone can find a flyer or an add of one. You can make one very easily though. All the parts interchange. You could make a rear handled 08S, but it would not be a true 08S. I have seen several mixed up saws. I think that Brads is an 08S with an S10 clutch cover or an S10 with an 08S top handle put on. The S10 back handles all sell very fast, they broke all the time, being flimsy plastic, like the Husky L65's back handle. So I can see someone fitting there saw with an 08S handle to replace their broken S10 handle, or maybe they just wanted to convert it. I have turned several 08S also into TS350 cut off saws, which sell better, all the parts pretty much can interchange.

Dave.

Yes, I have seen plenty of converted S10 to top handle saws but can`t find any documentation that there was ever a top handle model offered from the factory. Parts interchangability makes them easy to make into other looking models but they were not true Stihl offerings.

Pioneerguy600

I'm a little confused, seems you are talking $700, and the link shows me the high bid is 204.50 right now..

Last evening when I posted this question the saw on eBay was up in the $700. bracket, a couple of eMails to them may have changed the way they are handling the auction now.

Pioneerguy600

The seller now claims the high bidder has retracted his high bid of $800. but that does not make sense to me, if there was a high bid of $800. in on that saw then someone else had to have run the auction up to to have the $700. bid showing, when the high bidder drops out then the bid falls back to the second highest bidder, it would not have dropped back to the $200. range.

Pioneerguy600

The seller now claims the high bidder has retracted his high bid of $800. but that does not make sense to me, if there was a high bid of $800. in on that saw then someone else had to have run the auction up to to have the $700. bid showing, when the high bidder drops out then the bid falls back to the second highest bidder, it would not have dropped back to the $200. range.

Pioneerguy600

Sounds like he had 2 buddies running it up to try and get a bid fever going.

Actually wouldn't it go back to the next bidders first bid? Not his highest?

i have a top handle s-10 in my shop , im not saying at all that it couldnt have been changed over before i got it, but mine sports a top handle .

A couple of eMails to the seller may have changed their way of thinking.

Pioneerguy600

Last evening when I posted this question the saw on eBay was up in the $700. bracket, a couple of eMails to them may have changed the way they are handling the auction now.

Pioneerguy600

:) I guessed something like that....

:cheers:

Isn't Mange a knowledgeable collector? He acknowledges both versions in this post, LINK.

Sure he is, but he can still make mistakes or be wrong, like everyone. Stihl isn't the brand he knows most about.

If the original rear handle of the S10 was a weak point, it is no surprice that some of them have 08 handles on them.

Last edited:
Sounds like he had 2 buddies running it up to try and get a bid fever going.

Actually wouldn't it go back to the next bidders first bid? Not his highest?

All I know about the bidding process on Ebay wouldn`t fill a thimble. LOL
I once got a saw when the highest bidder retracted his bid, just before the auction ended, eBay informed me that I was the winner, my high bid was $20. less than the bid that was retracted and that was what I paid. I never checked to see what the next lowest bid was below mine, that would make a difference also I think.

Pioneerguy600

Sure he is, but he can still make mistakes or be wrong, like everyone. Stihl isn't the brand he knows most about.

If the original rear handle of the S10 was a weak point, it is no surprice that someof them have 08 handles on them.

Not taking away anything from any of the knowledgeable collectors but I would want to see it in print, as has already been posted, it is just too easy to swap parts on these saws and make them into other looking models.

Pioneerguy600

Not taking away anything from any of the knowledgeable collectors but I would want to see it in print, as has already been posted, it is just too easy to swap parts on these saws and make them into other looking models.

Pioneerguy600

In this case I would like documentation from Stihl as well.....

Latest posts

Back