Is an 041 Farm Boss worth dumping $150 into ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigv

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad was going through the barn on our property and he found the old 041 Farm Boss that he thought had gotten stolen in the 1990's.

I checked it out and it will need points and probably the ignition module, and I think it needs a piston and ring. The piston that is in it has two rings, so I figure it is probably the OE piston. Its not scored and the cylinder isn't either, but the compression doesn't feel up there like it should.

If I end up having to replace the bearings too, I will probably end up with $150 in it.

I'm in my early 30's, and I don't ever remember this saw running. He said it was better than his Super XL Homelites.

It does not have an AV system from what I can tell, and honestly, the old saw is rough looking. The 044 I have that is shot has an AV system and it is cracked all to death, I don't know for sure that an 041 is in the same family, but I'm wondering if it is going to vibrate and break apart like my 044 did finally ?

I've worked on an 031 and I had a bad time getting the coil and points for it. Is that going to be a problem with an 041 ?

I would try cleaning up the existing points, properly setting them, and setting the coil gap before I ran out to buy replacements. Also, AV buffers are wear items and need to be replaced when they start showing deterioration.

I'd fix the 044 long before the 041.

I would try cleaning up the existing points, properly setting them, and setting the coil gap before I ran out to buy replacements. Also, AV buffers are wear items and need to be replaced when they start showing deterioration.

I'd fix the 044 long before the 041.

My 044 is shot. Cases have been welded a couple times, bearings are gone, the flywheel is warped, piston is "polished" to a mirror finish and rings ? What rings.

The 044 was used every business day since new in 1993 for the first 7 years of its life. The guy threw it away. I was a kid then, I bought it, did the first magnesium welding job I ever had done on it. Used a doggone Linde Arc Stabilizer on a Miller AC/DC as a tig welder. First timber job I ever cleared- paid for a semester of books, rent, clothes and gas for my Charger. Lot of good memories with the 044, but it needs everything and I can't justify spending that kind of money on it.

I think 041 will be about the same to get parts for as an 031. But I also agree machinist about cleaning the old points and trying. The coils rarely play up. Rings may be gummed up, you might be able to disassemble, clean thoroughly, assemble and have a good running saw. It will probably need a carb kit, fuel line, impulse line, intake gaskets (the weak point of 041s) and maybe crank seals. Then rings if it isn't starting as easily and putting out as much power as it should. Pull it down before you make any decisions.

i am half tempted to trade you a running saw for your 044. if interested hit me up with a convo.

EDIT: it won't be any f the saws in me sig though.

If the crank bearings still feel ok and you dont feel like pulling the cylinder right away I would mix a little bit of Marvel Mystery oil in the first tank or 2 of your saw gas. (maybe like 2 or 3 oz. per tank). Tune the carb a little on the rich side for the MM oil in the tank.
I just did this on a 041 that hasn't ran for 7 or 8 years and was sitting out side in the weather and I once again tried this. The compression went from 130 to 150 in about a tank and half of fuel. (Like mentioned about the rings get very "gummy" when not used for a long time.

As for the points if still no spark after cleaning and re gapping them try an after market ignition module (the link below). They eliminate the need for the points and condenser setup.
http://www.weedeaterman.com/product_p/wemore33053.htm

Short answer: Is the 041 worth sinking $150 into? Probably not.

That said, I have customers who will want it done anyway. It is not a viable work saw at this point, but would be a fun firewood machine once in a while. On a points ignition, 95% of the time the culprit for no-spark is the points. If it turns over rough with the plug out, you may need bearings as you say. That can get expensive.

My dad was going through the barn on our property and he found the old 041 Farm Boss that he thought had gotten stolen in the 1990's.

I checked it out and it will need points and probably the ignition module, and I think it needs a piston and ring. The piston that is in it has two rings, so I figure it is probably the OE piston. Its not scored and the cylinder isn't either, but the compression doesn't feel up there like it should.

If I end up having to replace the bearings too, I will probably end up with $150 in it.

I'm in my early 30's, and I don't ever remember this saw running. He said it was better than his Super XL Homelites.

It does not have an AV system from what I can tell, and honestly, the old saw is rough looking. The 044 I have that is shot has an AV system and it is cracked all to death, I don't know for sure that an 041 is in the same family, but I'm wondering if it is going to vibrate and break apart like my 044 did finally ?

I've worked on an 031 and I had a bad time getting the coil and points for it. Is that going to be a problem with an 041 ?
I have to mention......an 041 non AV will rattle a LOT more than an 044! If this will be an issue I would save your $150

Last edited:
You got the 041 for free...so to me $150 isnt too bad . As others have said......a little cleaning of some parts might save you money .

Nothing wrong with hanging onto both of them for sentimental reasons. Clean both up real nice and make shelf queens out of them. Fix them at some point but for now your money might be better spent on a different saw.

Back