Is "Bar-Oil" made for *Suckers* ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, to further explain the whole bar oil question to begin with, if you can put aside the 6 year old mentality responses thus far of "why can't a millionaire afford $8.00 bar oil". The price is not the point!

MSH, please don't take this as a personal attack, but let's clear up a bit of Internet etiquette first. We read what you TYPE, not what you THINK or FEEL, so proof read your posts before sending them off and avoid having to call us names later when we respond to what you TYPE. Your original post contained numerous references to cost, including "When I am paying almost 3 times the price for my bar oil than premium unleaded fuel, I've got to wonder why!." You even suggested those of us willing to pay $8/gal for bar oil were 'suckers'. So now pardon us if we're not convinced your original motivation all along was the environment, even though it never got mentioned at all in that first post.

I just can't help thinking that after every 4 or 5 tank fills of bar oil, I literally just dumped a gallon of oil all over the ground.

I'm sure it will make no difference to the enviroment, but after dumping several gallons of fluid out over time, it makes you wonder.

But apparently cutting down dozens of trees in your area every year to warm your butt doesn't make you wonder at all. Interesting environmental conscience you possess.

there just seems to be a better way than dumping gallons of oil all over the ground times thousands of other users of saws.

You could try using an axe, it uses no oil at all.

Here is a novel idea, why don't you turn your oiler down. If you are using that much oil, then you just went stupid with the oiler adjustment

Here is another idea, goto your local diner and work out a deal with the owner that you will take all his spent fryer oil. Bring it home filter it and you have free bar oil.

If you are a Zillionaire then plop down a couple of bucks and buy a clue.

I love how I got nailed with not contributintg anything to the thread by Arnie... LMFAO!!!

Get a clue! The whole thread was a joke. It was started at a joke... so I contributed with a joke. HAHAHAHA!

Oh the drama... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Gary

I love how I got nailed with not contributintg anything to the thread by Arnie... LMFAO!!!

Get a clue! The whole thread was a joke. It was started at a joke... so I contributed with a joke. HAHAHAHA!

Oh the drama... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Gary

Must be because you shop at wally world ..Or it could be a Union issue

Last edited:
But apparently cutting down dozens of trees in your area every year to warm your butt doesn't make you wonder at all. Interesting environmental conscience you possess.

You could try using an axe, it uses no oil at all.

I run non dino bar oil on most of my saws because I believe that having some environmental conscience is better than none.

Even if I 1) cut wood and 2) don't do it with an axe.

It doesn't contain Benzene and some other nasty stuff that regular fuel contain - this have been covered before....
Gasoline and especially RFG in the US doesnt have very high concentrations of aromatics like Benzene.
Claiming that Aspen is better for the environment is sorta like trying to sort fly shat from pepper.
Ditto with petrol bar oil and vegi oil.

I use this stuff. It's easy on the weeds and I can see it on the bar:jester:

attachment.php

I would like to read more specifics on this. Can you point me in some direction? I realize that certain additives are not put into petrol bar oil, but it was my understanding that the vege oil broke down with microbes and such with less long term impact than petrol oil.

I could easily be wrong, though, and want to understand the issues better.

Petrol oil breaks down with microbes as well.
IMO the main advantage of Vegi is its effect on humans when inhaled.
As far as literature goes. You would have to search for that.

Last edited:
You feel that cold breeze??? Hell is freezing over... because I am agreeing with Ben!:) :) :)

Gary

That is fine, but I prefer some real evidence. :) At a minumum I am wondering what Ben is basing his opinion on here.

I know dino oil breaks down with microbes over time depending on the concentrations and such, but what I have heard including from friends and relatives in the municipal and commercial arborist world is that it is not that simple.

Course many regulations have taken things to the insane extreme like with some municipal organizations, if they spill one drop of hydraulic fluid by law they are supposed to call the EPA to get men in white suits to do a cleanup.

Last edited:
Gasoline and especially RFG in the US doesnt have very high concentrations of aromatics like Benzene.
Claiming that Aspen is better for the environment is sorta like trying to sort fly shat from pepper.

Not even close here, but the relationship may be different in North America - regular fuel is 95 octane here, and premium is 98, buth unleaded.

I'm begining to think msh just wanted to get a rise out of us since he is no longer viewing this thread.:popcorn:

Latest posts

Back