Is "Bar-Oil" made for *Suckers* ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

Muahahahahahahahaha!

So which one is it going to be Mr. Hunky?

It's not really as much being cheap as there just seems to be a better way to keep a bar lubricated instead of consuming so much of anything. It's not the price that is the principle.

I just know that we *spray* chain lube (very tacky) on our motorcycle chains and wonder why that same principle could not be used on a chain saw.

I just don't know.

Ya dont run your M/C chain thru wood either.

What good does "premium" bar oil do when it is only in contact with the bar for a few seconds before getting spun off??

If the idea is to simply keep the bar properly lubricated to prevent heat, friction, wear, why can't any type of lubricating liquid/oil be used??.
It's just going to get spun off within a few seconds anyway!

I mean $8.00 a gall for bar oil!!!. Why not even a similar weight Wal-Mart brand motor oil at around 1/2 to 1/3 the cost?.

I realize that you just can't spray the bar with WD-40 before every use (although it would work for a minute or so), but I don't see why a more efficient type of lubricant cannot be used in a much smaller quantity thereby being more cost effective as well.

Any lubricating liquid could be used, but some types will work better than others. My guess is the folks at Stihl have thought about this, even prior to reading your post, and have tested different formulations to see what works best.

Motor oil will spin off even faster, and costs $2/qt. or more where I live, (unless you are talking about used motor oil that has no monetary value) so I'm not quite sure I agree with you that $8/gal. for an application specific lubricant is highway robbery.

Other lubricants might work equally well, in smaller quantities, but I'm guessing they would cost far more per unit volume, thereby negating the cost savings of the lower consumption rate. They wouldn't necessarily be available in remote areas, and who knows if they'd be discontinued at some point by the mfr. And the bar holes would have to be changed to produce the lower flow rate, so we'd have even more bar options available to choose from. Or, perhaps inserts could be used in the existing bar holes, but smaller passages would likely be more prone to clogging as well. And don't underestimate the lubrication demands of the bar/chain interface, a lot of lightweight oils may not work so well in that application.

My honest guess is they started with something simple and readily available, like motor oil, modified it to minimize fling, and designed the lubrication system around that simple concept. All the other non-millionaires running chain saws seemed willing to shell out the $8/gal, so nobody bothered to change it over the years.

It's not really as much being cheap as there just seems to be a better way to keep a bar lubricated instead of consuming so much of anything. It's not the price that is the principle.

I just know that we *spray* chain lube (very tacky) on our motorcycle chains and wonder why that same principle could not be used on a chain saw.

I just don't know.

You cannot just spray some lube on and it be good. The wood chips are constantly removing the oil and the physics of the chain going around the saw force the oil out of the bar groove. For as fast as the chain is moving you should be happy that it only takes quality bar oil to keep that chain in pristine condition. All it take is good oil on that metal to metal surface to last the bar for many chains. A drop in the bucket for not having to buy 40 buck bars and 20 buck chains when the bar only had 2 chains on it and the chain has 70% of the cutter left.

Last edited:
I guess you could have a friend carry a can of oil in a squirt can and squirt the oil on the chain and bar as needed when things start to burn and smoke. :biggrinbounce2:

Sorta how they do it in bucksaw racing. :clap:

Black bottle Poulan at wally world for $4 a gal, green bottle is $4 a gal too. Just depends on what section you are shopping in to what bottles you will find.

Went to Wally World yesterday. Went to the garden section to get that Poulan bar oil. What did I find? Husky Bar oil? No.. Supertech bar oil? No...

A WHOLE FRIKKIN AISLE OF FRIKKIN CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS !!! IT'S NOT EVEN HALLOWEEN YET ! :angry2: :angry2:

Ian

Last edited:

I just don't know.

I wouldn't be surpriced if there actually are some of the same ingredients involved. .....:chainsawguy:

Went to Wally World yesterday. Went to the garden section to get that Poulan bar oil. What did I find? Husky Bar oil? No.. Supertech bar oil? No...

A WHOLE FRIKKIN ISLE OF FRIKKIN CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS !!! IT'S NOT EVEN HALLOWEEN YET ! :angry2: :angry2:

Ian

Be careful of the lead paint on the WallyWorld Christmas ornaments...

A WHOLE FRIKKIN ISLE OF FRIKKIN CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS !!! IT'S NOT EVEN HALLOWEEN YET ! :angry2: :angry2:

Ian
Yep, Christmas is just a retail tax. :hmm3grin2orange:

Same reason that guys that ride in the sand a lot don't use tacky chain spray. Too much crap sticks to it and it ends up eatin' away at your sprockets and chain. WD-40 is the best dirt bike chain lube made.

Did I mention that...:sucks:

Gary

If this is the big thread of the night, I think I'm just going to go to bed.

There is always somebody who sees a mysterious conspiracy in everything he doesn't like. Bar oil isn't a "rip off", it's just bar oil. It's meant to do a job. If you don't like it, don't buy it. The money you save can be used for new bars and oil pumps!:biggrinbounce2:

If this is the big thread of the night, I think I'm just going to go to bed.

There is always somebody who sees a mysterious conspiracy in everything he doesn't like. Bar oil isn't a "rip off", it's just bar oil. It's meant to do a job. If you don't like it, don't buy it. The money you save can be used for new bars and oil pumps!:biggrinbounce2:

LOLOL, I'm with you Spike, I think I have finally seen it all. Being a ole farm boy though if I were Super I'd raise me a pot belly pig just for the sole purpose of making bar oil. Yup I'd get that ole pig up to about 5-600 lbs and butcher his hide for that lard he's got in there. Yup I'd rather do that than go buy a gallon of high price bar oil. Anyone know the price of pig feed lately?? I need to know so I can calulate how much money I'll have in that pig,LOLOLOL

Back