Is "Bar-Oil" made for *Suckers* ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our crew gets a 5gal jug of Stihl Bio Plus every couple of weeks. We must use about 75 gallons per year. Compared to WAGES, INSURANCE, equipment payments, diesel, saw mix, EQUIPMENT REPAIRS, and misc, bar oil doesn't even show up on radar. Our 2 major contracts are in watersheds so anything we use has an environmental consequence. Bio Plus works well and is easy to clean off a saw. This is the only oil I run either on the crew or personally. I am not against trying every brand of bio oil there is. I just know what works for us.

We made it!!!

Congratulations to all who made it thru each and every one of the posts on this thread. In the end I question my own judgement, but we showed real stamina!!! :clap: :clap: :laugh: :laugh:

I guess he's just gonna use motor oil or wd40 or whatever but I believe chain oil is the best choice for a chainsaw and I know for a fact that motor oil goes through a saw quicker than bar oil.

About the only thing Stihl bar oil will do better is lighten your wallet.

For the amount that most of us use in a year the annual savings is negligible. A couple of trips to Starbucks, a couple of six packs or maybe a lunch. Plus I can support the local saw guy (small business) instead of K-Mart, that's a real plus to me.

BFD

Last edited:
For the amount that most of us use in a year the annual savings is negligible. A couple of trips to Starbucks, a couple of six packs or maybe a lunch. Plus I can support the local saw guy (small business) instead of K-Mart, that's a real plus to me.

BFD

I agree with Larry. The true saw and logging shops are getting fewer and farther apart. I have a great shop so I buy most everything saw related there. Amazing how in a pinch they'll go the extra mile because they recognize you as a good customer.
Answer to original? no you probably don't have a lot to gain with premium brand but like mentioned earlier the cost of even premium oil is minute in the grand scheme of things. Next week I am taking down four big trees for a guy $500 bucks- the cost of 3-4 qts of oil$3.00 Oh I am down to $497 so I think I can absorb the cost. So ill see my dealer make a purchase there. When I think something is over priced I still have two local mail order I can use that are specialty related. If you don't care about dealer support ya prolly don"t need a saw worthy of extra care any way.

I read this whole thread to see if Gary was going to get his point across.
:sucks::laugh:

Just go tp wally world and find the bar oil in the black bottle.
Polaun pro stuff. stay away from the green bottle if you can.

Now of corse if you want the pretty Orange bottle for twice the price then go to ACE Hardware.

I read this whole thread to see if Gary was going to get his point across.
:sucks::laugh:

Just go tp wally world and find the bar oil in the black bottle.
Polaun pro stuff. stay away from the green bottle if you can.

Now of corse if you want the pretty Orange bottle for twice the price then go to ACE Hardware.

I think you can find the green and the black bottles at Lowes and Tractor supply right along with the Huskies

Latest posts

Back