is Cedar worth burning in a wood stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all, I'm going to go get it Sunday. I think I'll do as recommended and put it aside for kindling, maybe mix a whole piece in every once in a while when I feel like a crackling fire. The people who have it only asked I leave a small pile for them. After reading all your thoughts on burning Cedar I think I'll take them some Fir instead.

Yes, and I can point you to 600 acres of it that you can have alllll you want or can haul. I will even help you cut it.

Wish I lived closer to you. :cry:

Since cedar burns fast and hot, it is a perfect combination to mix in with some of the less seasoned wood or a quick way to heat the house up when it is below zero outside.

Woodforheat, you're dead on about the uses for cedar, always start my fire with it. Had a BIG cedar blow down this year, stored it in rounds and just whack off a piece to keep by the stove. Small pieces for kindling topped with maybe 4" piece, add wood normally and go inside...done,,,,Lanny

If it is Cedar Juniper I would jump on it, I doubt it is though, it mostly grows in the Mountain West states. I love Juniper, has the best smell, hard on chains, and burns hot and fast, but the house is well insulated so one good fire a day is all we need most of the winter. I feel sorry for you guys that have to feed your stoves in the middle of the night. Actually I would jump on it if it was almost any kind of wood except Russian Olive, you would have to pay me to even touch that stuff.

If it is Cedar Juniper I would jump on it, I doubt it is though, it mostly grows in the Mountain West states. I love Juniper, has the best smell, hard on chains, and burns hot and fast, but the house is well insulated so one good fire a day is all we need most of the winter. I feel sorry for you guys that have to feed your stoves in the middle of the night. Actually I would jump on it if it was almost any kind of wood except Russian Olive, you would have to pay me to even touch that stuff.

Yup, I love the smell of Juniper but I'm sure this is Western Red Cedar. It's only costing me a trip across town so I'll find a use for it. :greenchainsaw:

Just got some pics of this wood sent to me

I guess it's not split but cut into rounds. Doesn't look like cedar to me but these pics aren't great. Anyone want to take a stab at identifying what type of cedar or wood this is?

attachment.php

attachment.php

It sure doesn't look like the cedar I use (Easten White) nor does it look like red cedar you have out west. It looks like it's spruce, to me or maybe western larch.

Last edited:
Guess on the wood

From your location, Camas, WA, and from the highly fissured bark, I'd say it was some species of Pine, most likely Lodgepole pine (Pinus contorta). The bark doesn't have large enough plates to be Ponderosa pine, and the size of the rounds mean it came from a quite tall tree.

Here is a decent picture of Ponderosa pine bark, I couldn't find a good one for lodgepole pine.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...w&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=4&ct=image&cd=1

The Discoverer

Guess on the wood

From your location, Camas, WA, and from the highly fissured bark, I'd say it was some species of Pine, most likely Lodgepole pine (Pinus contorta). The bark doesn't have large enough plates to be Ponderosa pine, and the size of the rounds mean it came from a quite tall tree.

Here is a decent picture of Ponderosa pine bark, I couldn't find a good one for lodgepole pine.

http://tinyurl.com/bgym4c

The Discoverer

So I got the low down (and a good cord and a half of free firewood :cheers:) According to the owner of the property this is Deodara Cedar. What is shown in the earlier pics was actually just a branch that had fallen. The tree is still standing and it's HUGE! I would guess four to five feet across at the base.

Thanks for all the input!

Deodara Cedar

Thanks for letting us know. When you say it, I say "Of Course" because my office used to have this huge deodar cedar on its lawn. BUT, I thought that the wood was native, so didn't suspect that cedar. It is a commercially important tree in the western Himalayas and grows very well in parts of the US when planted. Cedrus atlantica is a very beautiful bluish tree. Deodar is much greener. And, you're right, the central bole can get huge, as can the limbs.

Just for interesting information, there are three other species of the Cedrus family, none native to the USA. Cedrus atlantica (Atlas cedar) growing in the Atlas Mountains of northern Africa; Cedrus labani (Lebanon cedar) still grows in Lebanon; and Cedrus brevifolia grows on the island of Cyprus.

What we call 'cedar' is actually in a different family, the Cupressacea, which has five genera. Western Red cedar is Thuja plicata.

Somebody has given you a great gift.

The Discoverer

Latest posts

Back