Is ethanol ruining our saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy ethanol free gas for all my gas powered engines including my truck. Once you get away from the towns and cities you can find it at the mom and pop no name gas stations.

I have been using a product called Startron in all my 2-stroke equipment, blowers, chainsaws, weedeaters, etc. I really think it makes a different. If you can't find it at your small motor shop, it is in the boating supply section of the automotive department at Walmart.

Not the first problem in any of my chainsaws as far as hurting the P/C's, or any components of the fuel system. What I do notice, and every single saw I own does it. If you are cutting in really hot/humid weather, and shut the saw off, it is difficult to restart if you let it sit for a while and "heat soak".

They are fine if you restart it within 3-4 minutes, but a 10-15 minute sitting period and they require some effort to start and to keep them running. This problem clears up quickly once you get them to fire, but it is a bit aggravating at times.

What I've been doing, is to take 4-5 saws to the woods, and if I shut one down after using it for quite a while, I just grab another saw and let the first one cool completely down. I suspect the ethanol is lowering to boiling point of the fuel enough that it's causing the restarting "issues" that I've been noticing.

As far as automotive, industrial and Marine carburetors go, NOTHING made of rubber will live long in contact with this new fuel. Viton fuel inlet needles, and accellerator pump cups are MANDITORY. Just ask the Marine industry. Ethanol hit the Marine gas pumps last, and we are selling a lot of parts to folks for Marine carburetors in recent months......Cliff

Race fuel = zero ethanol

I run 110 in my saws because that is what I can get locally..

I had to take my generator carb apart and clean out all the ethanol crud & will try Stabil Marine next for it.

RD

Decided to look at the msds for several additives on the market, not seeing a big difference between what's offered. If Amsoil, Stabil, and Seafoam are all accomplishing about the same thing in the same manner, then it would stand to reason just to go out and get the least expensive most available product.
Thoughts anyone?

The old "gas-a-hol" in the early 80s' ate holes in the aluminum gas tank of my Poulan 245A. I patched it up with JB-Weld and used it another 15 years. That was bad stuff!

I'm calling Buuuuuuhhhhhhllllllll Sheeeeeeeeeeit on that one!

Back