Is it dead?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmsilva

Reaction score
So I bought this house almost two years ago, and it came with this tree. At the time, it already had a bunch of dead branches, so I bought myself a chainsaw (any motive is a good motive to have a chainsaw) and started timing those dead branches. Last year everything went ok, I saw some growth on the tree, but this year....it's April, and the tree is naked like I have never seen her. I live in southern California, where temperatures have been lower than usual. There was a bit more rain this year, but there has been a big difference from previous years.
Can anyone tell me, from the picture, if the tree is dead? (the green part you see it's mainly from the neighbor tree)

Thank you.

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-05 at 19.34.01.jpeg

Don't know if I would cut it down just yet, the pecan trees are just starting to put on mouse ears just in the last few days around here, Oaks are full.

I see no downside to watering it and waiting another month or two.

It doesn't look like it will either fall on something or become dangerous-to-cut.

Roy

There are signs of life all over that tree, but you do need to look close. The backlighting prevents good observation, but those sure look like leaves popping out all over.

One does have to wonder why your tree is so much delayed in emerging, relative to the vigor of the adjacent tree. If it comes out strong enough to look alive, I'd suggest doing some restorative efforts.

Can you get us a better picture of the ground beneath the tree? Something about that looks very wrong, particularly the staining that extends onto the pavement/driveway. What's the history in that area? The edges look like there has been some sort of excavation.

Are you parking the car on the ground beneath? This will cause some very damaging soil compaction.

Generally good for trees that are not thriving:
Drill a bunch of one to two inch diameter holes between all those prominent roots, about one foot deep is adequate. Then fill them back up with a mixture of the soil you took out, adding about 50% compost, cotton burr, peat moss, shredded pine bark or some other organic soil improvement.

Then add a nice shot of fertilizer, mixed in with your hole-filling materials. Limit the total fertilizer applied beneath that tree to just one pound of common yard fertilizer. There is no value to overdoing it! You could get fancy with some prescription tree fertilizer, selected from the recommendations of a soil test that you had analyzed. I'm suggesting the cheapo version.

Then you might also add a couple of inches of topsoil to help cover those exposed roots. You might not be aware that dumping a whole lot of dirt to cover the roots will NOT be good for the tree. Just add a 1' deep layer once per year and it will be ok. Eventually, the roots will be covered, and you will not have suffocated it.

Immediate alternative, that might well be healthier for the tree: cover with 2-3 inches of mulch. This will also help alleviate that soil compaction, and will help eliminate future compaction. That mulch turns into dirt eventually, anyway.

Latest posts

Back