Is it worth the time?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homelite

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a large box elder log (approx. 18 inched DBH) waiting to get milled, but would like some input as to the utility of the wood once it is cut. Does it work well? What sort of colors can I expect? Will the red streaks I have seen in the log stay once it is dried?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a large box elder log (approx. 18 inched DBH) waiting to get milled, but would like some input as to the utility of the wood once it is cut. Does it work well? What sort of colors can I expect? Will the red streaks I have seen in the log stay once it is dried?

Any help would be appreciated.

It works kind of like maple, part of the same family, but I think a bit stringier. Colors? That's a crapshoot. Sunlight will fade the red, but will stay in dried wood.

Mark

BE THERE when it is being cut. You may have to make decisions about how to turn the log as it is being cut. The red and blue staining is more or less random, and how you want it cut is up to you!:blob4: :blob4: :blob5:

I come across a bit of box elder where I'm at. Almost every log I've cut has a trace of red or gray. When the color is low I'll mill it into slabs and dry it that way. But when its loaded with color then I will usually cut blanks out of it and wax them for the racks. I keep those blanks on my porch away from the sun and some in the basement (which is a small wood shop that is dehumidified) on racks. Its been about a month and a half since the last heavy colored blanks.....they still look just as good as the day I milled them. As for uses....I'm not really to sure.....it smells horrible "poop wood":fart: lol....nice thing is that it does work like maple. Best of luck! Post some pictures!
:popcorn:

I come across a bit of box elder where I'm at. Almost every log I've cut has a trace of red or gray. When the color is low I'll mill it into slabs and dry it that way. But when its loaded with color then I will usually cut blanks out of it and wax them for the racks. I keep those blanks on my porch away from the sun and some in the basement (which is a small wood shop that is dehumidified) on racks. Its been about a month and a half since the last heavy colored blanks.....they still look just as good as the day I milled them. As for uses....I'm not really to sure.....it smells horrible "poop wood":fart: lol....nice thing is that it does work like maple. Best of luck! Post some pictures!
:popcorn:
I would classify the smell as cat pi** in a steam radiator!:)

Well worth milling.I've seen it nicely flamed before.Makes nice flutes& guitar bodies for me.:) Mark

Back