Is my new saw supposed to do this??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruzer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Saw is a brand new Husky 55. It has 3-4 tanks of mix through it last night and today. Has a full chisel chain/18in bar.

This is my first "real" chainsaw before this I borrowed my brothers Poulon Pro 46cc and a freinds generic saw.

The saw makes short work of everything i have put it to but when i put the bumper spike into the wood and go to rock the saw into the wood it bogs the saw down and quickly stops the chain. Is this from incorrect technique? It happens either in upright (like making the felling cut) Or while bucking wood on the ground. I have a feeling that it is from incorrect technique on my part and not so much the saw but you never know.

Fire away! and thanks for the help in advance.

Stew

Mostly poplar but also some maple, ash, and cherry.

Stew

Your saw is good for firewood cutting but it's not a major powerhouse. Just let the saw eat through the wood at it's own pace. If you're stopping the chain when you dog it in you're asking way too much of the saw. Keep a super sharp chain and have a little patience.

Yes, let the saw be broken in. Then you get some power.
There should be some power in a Husky 55, there is in my old one.
attachment.php

The saw deffintily has power...way more than the poulon pro i was using and it deffinitly zipps through the wood as long as i dont' try and rotate it around the bumper spikes. The saw is great for what i want to do with it. A decent all around saw.

I have a little homelite XL that my dad got in the 70s that needs some work but should make a nice little limbing saw when it runs. My left arm was deffinitly getting tired by the end of the day holding onto the 55!

Thanks for the replies i had no good reference on what my saw should cut like.

Stew

Your saw is also new so everything is tight, when you run 10 tanks of fuel through your saw it should run a bit stronger.
thats what i say too a virgin saw chainsaw has to be broke in. also depending on skill level you may want too get a semi skip comp safety chain less metal too flip around the bar. take it slow with a new saw and enjoy:jester: :chainsaw:

Yes, let the saw be broken in. Then you get some power.
There should be some power in a Husky 55, there is in my old one.
attachment.php

Hey mag. I'm curious. How do you use that laser tach for tuning? Are you putting a reflective sticker on the clutch drum?

55 is a nice little saw.

i use mine all the time with a 16".no reason to lean into it.let it cut.keep that chain sharp.

you didn't file down the rakers too much did you?

On lighter saws, if the dogs are a nuisance, just unbolt them, you don't need them if the chain's sharp, and they're not much use when the chains blunt either

Don't push on it - let the saw cut at its own pace. It is not a high torque saw and if you push it it will bog down.

The saw deffintily has power...way more than the poulon pro i was using and it deffinitly zipps through the wood as long as i dont' try and rotate it around the bumper spikes. The saw is great for what i want to do with it. A decent all around saw.

I have a little homelite XL that my dad got in the 70s that needs some work but should make a nice little limbing saw when it runs. My left arm was deffinitly getting tired by the end of the day holding onto the 55!

Thanks for the replies i had no good reference on what my saw should cut like.

Stew

Get the XL running good, and Ill bet you will find yourself logging more time with it than the 55. Put a 16" bar on it, fresh clutch drum. Roller tip bar of course, tune it in, and it will scream.

i use mine all the time with a 16".no reason to lean into it.let it cut.keep that chain sharp.

you didn't file down the rakers too much did you?

Rakers?(i am assuming some part of the chain)... I haven't sharpened the chain yet. I don't know how to use a file to sharpen the chain BUT the shop i purchased the saw from told me to come back and they would teach me. He is a friend of the family.

Stew

Saw is a brand new Husky 55. It has 3-4 tanks of mix through it last night and today. Has a full chisel chain/18in bar.

This is my first "real" chainsaw before this I borrowed my brothers Poulon Pro 46cc and a freinds generic saw.

The saw makes short work of everything i have put it to but when i put the bumper spike into the wood and go to rock the saw into the wood it bogs the saw down and quickly stops the chain. Is this from incorrect technique? It happens either in upright (like making the felling cut) Or while bucking wood on the ground. I have a feeling that it is from incorrect technique on my part and not so much the saw but you never know.

Fire away! and thanks for the help in advance.

Stew
Sounds like you might be used to running dull chains with the rakers to high. The duller it gets the more you can lean on it. Steve

Sounds like you might be used to running dull chains with the rakers to high. The duller it gets the more you can lean on it. Steve

Yeah i would think that the chainsaw(poulon pro 46cc from HD) i have been using dulled chains quickly(1 hour!!!) because the lube system was pluged up and did not work correctly so then i would start leaning on it ... anway no more crappy saw for me!

Stew

As I remember it, he puts the reflective sticker on the flywheels........:biggrinbounce2:

Yes, on the side on the flywheels

G'day.
I use the same tach, just a small piece of reflective tape on the flywheel does the trick. Have to have the top cover off to use though.

I don't take any cover off, just point it someplace at the opening in the starter cover but on some saw's it can be a pain to get a good reading.

Latest posts

Back