Is our tree leaning too much?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjp1

Reaction score
Over the past 8 years the winds have caused our tree to permanently lean. We're concerned it may fall down one day and we'd like a pro's opinion

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• IMG_1375.JPG
    IMG_1375.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 196
That really isn't much lean, from the photo. Looks like a healthy, young, strong tree to me. They rarely fall over.

Go stand on the roots on a windy day. If they aren't moving you up and down, that is a good sign.

Also look at the top center. It is starting to point straight up rather than towards the lean...that tells me the tree has been that way for a while which means the roots are going to be anchoring back in.

That tree looks more as if its growing that way instead of blowing. I can't see raised ground on the tension wood side. I see lawn as more damaging to the tree than lean.

Looks like a Pin Oak... It's not blowing anywhere ... I'd also want to see if it not leaning towards the sun??? The comment about standing on the ground a few feet from the tree when the wind is strong into the lean is the way to know if you have a root issue. The ground will lift a few inches. That main root pointing at the camera can be looked at in a wind storm... I bet it doesn't move at all.

OP probably not looking any longer, but appears OP took photo in the morning.
Tree going for the afternoon sum, was in shade when small.
Would guess the OP also just recently moved into the house, and original owners trimmed the branches off the house side.
Also guessing one of the first houses in the neighborhood, as all the other trees are much smaller, possibly an original tree that the developers did not clear cut?

Leave it be. Trim house side branches in the future only when it gets big enough for squirrels to jump over into your eaves and attic .

Would guess the OP also just recently moved into the house, and original owners trimmed the branches off the house side.
Also guessing one of the first houses in the neighborhood, as all the other trees are much smaller, possibly an original tree that the developers did not clear cut?

Leave it be. Trim house side branches in the future only when it gets big enough for squirrels to jump over into your eaves and attic .

Find a recipe for midnight gravey and add those little tree rats (squirrels) to the gravey and ladle over rice....

I also have a leaning tree, i kind of like how it looks, but don't want it to lean any further. There is a sturdy tree right next to it, if I don't mind aesthetically (which i dont) how it looks, is tying a heavy duty rope to the sturdy tree an option to not have it lean more?

I also have a leaning tree, i kind of like how it looks, but don't want it to lean any further. There is a sturdy tree right next to it, if I don't mind aesthetically (which i dont) how it looks, is tying a heavy duty rope to the sturdy tree an option to not have it lean more?

No it is not! You will kill it! You never wrap anything around a tree... The pressure on the cambium layer will basically strangle the tree or plant. You drill a 3/8 or 1/2 inch hole threw the trees and then insert a section of stainless steel threaded rod... Leaving several inches. The outside get a two inch flat washer and nut to basically make your own long bolt. You can purchase long eye bolts for this as well. I buy turn buckels the correct tread size to match my rods then just unscrew the one eyebolt ... Saves time and money.... You can find the treaded rod sections at Home Depot... If there's extra... I just leave it on to you don't bugger up the threads in cutting it. Then just unscrew one side and screw to your rod(bolt) and wrap the cable threw and clamp the connection I use my little $20 dollar harbor freight come-a-long to pull it tight... You just make a loop on the ends... That you'll later be cutting off and ratchet it right up! This works great for training smaller trees that got off to a crooked start. Just remember that drilling threw and adding an eye bolt with a large washer doesn't damage but wrapping anything around it will. Is your tree as big as the one in this tread? If so it needs to get "pulled" or connected at a higher point. I did this for a client with a small granddaughter so we just attached two ropes down from the center and made her a swing...(with a recycled set from a set that someone was removing...that was posted on Craigslist"... Anyway... As she swings it actually is helping to streatch the fibers in the tree and correct their crookedness! "I know, genius! ...right?" If you have a pic or diameter info everyone will help with info.

What kind of tree is it? How much is it leaning?
It's easier to see in conifers, but often you will see them be to straighten out over time, depending what caused the lean in the first place.

If the tree is being to correct itself, then you don't need to do anything.

Pic would certainly help, especially back a bit perpendicular to the lean, so we can see the whole tree with the lean.

Looks like a Pin Oak... It's not blowing anywhere ... I'd also want to see if it not leaning towards the sun??? The comment about standing on the ground a few feet from the tree when the wind is strong into the lean is the way to know if you have a root issue. The ground will lift a few inches. That main root pointing at the camera can be looked at in a wind storm... I bet it doesn't move at all.

yes indeed, it leans South toward the sun

Original picture was taken in late afternoon... the sun is setting behind the houses to the right. It gets sun from morning to afternoon. The wind almost always blows in the direction of the lean

We're the original owners and it's been trimmed once a couple years ago... it was planted 9 years ago and was about 7 feet at the time

Actually this house was one of the last in the tract but we still have the biggest tree out of 50 houses :rock:

thank you for the comments everyone :cool:

Just curious how deep is your topsoil there? Looks like none of the bigger roots are actually in the ground... mearly under the sod... try avoiding any lawnmower damage to those roots and looks like the weed Wacker may have gotten a couple good licks in too.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Just curious how deep is your topsoil there? Looks like none of the bigger roots are actually in the ground... mearly under the sod... try avoiding any lawnmower damage to those roots and looks like the weed Wacker may have gotten a couple good licks in too.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

The builders planted it too shallow. Additionally we have extremely rocky soil.... can't put a shovel in the ground because it's mostly rock

Rock, providing it isn't bedrock, isn't bad, the roots easily grow in the spaces between the rocks. In fact, a coarse (rocky) soil is less susceptible to tree failure than fine textured soil (clays and silts).

If you are really worried about having the tree fall over, you can always remove some of the foliage to stop it from catching the wind as much. Likely, this tree is not going to fall over any time soon unless you have some real bad luck. It will not be because of wind that the tree has leaned that way, but more likely that is where the sun is for the most part. The tree is simply stretching towards the sun as most plants do.

Travis Garden - Arborist
https://travstrees.com.au

Latest posts

Back