Is Poplar worth the effort?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
. AS Supporting Member.
Is tuliptree (yellow poplar?) the same thing as what you're all talking about?

I got about 1/2 cord of this stuff for free from across the road. I was planning on burning it in my outdoor fire pit (for our weenie roasts and such), but I have a feeling it might get burned in the stove next winter.

Blazin

Blazin

Addicted to ArboristSite
Baloney. All wood will burn better, hotter, and cleaner when seasoned than when green... regardless of what it's burnt in.

Personally, I don't bother with poplar unless someone gives it to me split and ready to go. It contains little btu so I would always go for the better low hanging fruit if given a choice. But, if poplar is all you have, burn it... just expect to go through a lot of it.

You must be buying cheap baloney then...You have an OWB? I fire alot of it thru mine, and green is the way to go. Burnin "seasoned" poplar is like throwin **** thru a tin horn in an OWB. Get yer facts straight, and you do need to mix a little hardwood in like others said... for coals, as it does'nt make any.

Bobcatter

Bobcatter

ArboristSite Lurker
Two kinds of poplar

Around here, poplar might mean Quaking Aspen (GENERAL: A medium sized tree, typically reaching 60' high, of rapid growth but short-lived. Most common on sandy or gravelly soils of old fields and open woods in northern Pennsylvania, but it can be found throughout the state. Important for revegetating recently cut or burned areas by sprouting from widespread roots. Its wood is used chiefly for pulp in manufacturing paper and cardboard. Many animals browse the twigs and it is a favorite food of beaver.

I agree with the "junk" opinion, I don't mess with it, too many other trees that are worth my labor.

On the other hand:
Tulip Poplar. (GENERAL: Also known as Yellow poplar, Tulip poplar, White poplar and Whitewood. A large tree, the tallest of the eastern hardwoods. It grows rapidly and is an important timber and shade tree. The wood is valuable for veneer and many other uses. Songbirds and game birds, rabbits, squirrels and mice feed on the seeds. Whitetail deer browse the young growth.)

Here are the links with leaf pictures:
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/commontr/tuliptre.htm
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/FORESTRY/commontr/quaking.htm

milkie62

milkie62

ArboristSite Guru
Had my OWB for 15 yrs now.I burn about 9-10 cord a season.Mostly poplar and pine and maybe 1 cord or so of maple,oak and cherry.I get all my poplar dropped off for free in log length by the town.I also cut my hedgerows.I use very very little of my woodlot.Yes it does burn quick but I have had many many btu's over 15 years from poplar .

Hlakegollum

Hlakegollum

ArboristSite Operative
Is tuliptree (yellow poplar?) the same thing as what you're all talking about?

I got about 1/2 cord of this stuff for free from across the road. I was planning on burning it in my outdoor fire pit (for our weenie roasts and such), but I have a feeling it might get burned in the stove next winter.

Tulip poplar is totally different, these are large, strong trees. They can grow to over 200 ft. The aspen/poplar is short-lived (at least by me). I cut lots of the tulip, I use it to start the fireplace and Spring/Fall heating.

Austin1

Austin1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Tulip poplar is totally different, these are large, strong trees. They can grow to over 200 ft. The aspen/poplar is short-lived (at least by me). I cut lots of the tulip, I use it to start the fireplace and Spring/Fall heating.
Funny how tree's vary from place to place out here Aspens are kinda small Higher elevation trees than Poplars, and seem to live a long life compared to the huge river valley Poplars they live about 50 years for the Poplars but will hit 30''.

I just came back from cutting wood 2 pines and one poplar all cut in a white out! Snowing like crazy here!
I burn poplar but unless I can pull right up to it with the truck I prefer pine.
No Hardwood here and Fir when I can find it is king, Tamarack is starting to challenge the Fir though.

Last edited:
slofr8

slofr8

ArboristSite Operative
I have my own wood lot with lots of Maple and Beech and Popple. I like to work up about a quarter to a third of my supply in Popple because it's so easy to cut and split and properly seasoned it's great for fall and spring heating.
Dan.

Latest posts