Is "Quick Books" a good way to organize your tree business?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizake7

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a business bank account and just signed up for a basic membership of quick books. Does anyone else use quickbooks? How do you do your scheduling?

Quick books is good for billing but not much more.
Nothing beats a dry erase calendar on the wall for scheduling. It’s nice to step back and see everything laid out. Move things around as necessary.

Quick books is good for billing but not much more.
Nothing beats a dry erase calendar on the wall for scheduling. It’s nice to step back and see everything laid out. Move things around as necessary.
Then how do you schedule people for bid, schedule people for work, and add notes about a customer on the go?

Good question. I might be a little old school, but I schedule appointments on google calendar. I capture all client information on an intake sheet, then write proposals on a excel based custom format.
Once a proposal is excepted it goes into work flow, and the necessary people and equipment is allotted for each specific day.
How many crews are you managing? Are you looking for a stream lined software to manage your operation? There are plenty of them out there, I’ve just found them lacking in certain areas that I am not willing to compromise on.

Good question. I might be a little old school, but I schedule appointments on google calendar. I capture all client information on an intake sheet, then write proposals on a excel based custom format.
Once a proposal is excepted it goes into work flow, and the necessary people and equipment is allotted for each specific day.
How many crews are you managing? Are you looking for a stream lined software to manage your operation? There are plenty of them out there, I’ve just found them lacking in certain areas that I am not willing to compromise on.
whats an intake sheet?

I'm only running 1 crew but I'm finding it very difficult to log customers, schedule bids, bid the jobs, schedule the job, then go do the job. On top of it having to calculate taxes and expenses to deduct from income. WTF am I doing lol

Its to the point where I can only actually work like 3-4 days a week when I could be working 4-6 days a week making twice the money.

I've used QB to manage several businesses over the years, and also for my personal expenses and accounts. I love it.
Two of the businesses were nursery and it worked well from everything from inventory to billing.
I never used it for scheduling though.
I can look at it and see what's available if you like. I don't use it much any more, but I still have it on my computer.

I've used QB to manage several businesses over the years, and also for my personal expenses and accounts. I love it.
Two of the businesses were nursery and it worked well from everything from inventory to billing.
I never used it for scheduling though.
I can look at it and see what's available if you like. I don't use it much any more, but I still have it on my computer.
Have you ever ran a tree removal and trim service?

whats an intake sheet?
A piece of paper with all the necessary information is written for the client and job. Name, phone number, email to send the proposal to. I also use check boxes like "location of septic, number of feet of ground protection, wood removal, firewood cut size, phc measurements, ect. I find it is easier to have all of those questions staring me in the face and just tick off the boxes when I'm doing an appointment then having to remember every question.
We've all had appointments where the potential client just goes on and on about this or that, and it's easy to want to get out of there and forget to capture all the necessary information when it comes time to write the proposal.
I used to write proposals on site with a lap top and mobile printer, and should probably get back to that at some point.

A piece of paper with all the necessary information is written for the client and job. Name, phone number, email to send the proposal to. I also use check boxes like "location of septic, number of feet of ground protection, wood removal, firewood cut size, phc measurements, ect. I find it is easier to have all of those questions staring me in the face and just tick off the boxes when I'm doing an appointment then having to remember every question.
We've all had appointments where the potential client just goes on and on about this or that, and it's easy to want to get out of there and forget to capture all the necessary information when it comes time to write the proposal.
I used to write proposals on site with a lap top and mobile printer, and should probably get back to that at some point.
lol now whats PHC?

lol now whats PHC?

Your avatar displays you (presumably) cutting without a secondary tie in and no hard hat. Hi vis is great to keep motorists safe in the event you cut your bearded self out of the tree on a busy road or whatever, but you really need to think about your own personal safety as well. I'm partially being a smart ass, but I also hate to see a hard working person get hurt. Safety protocol is no joke. Just saying.

Having a platform that can be easily and quickly be implemented and used by any arborist business is essential. You can easily integrate your workflow into the system without any problems. ArboStar does the job nicely, easily, quickly, and is quite affordable for any arborist business. It integrates nicely with financial systems such as QuickBooks too.

Back