Is Royal Paulownia a weed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Someone has been lucky enough to buy the woods next to my house and is clearing it. I am thinking of planting a few Royal Paulownia, but have not spoken to anyone with much knowledge about it. The local nurseries don't carry it and are skeptical. Of course some websites tout it as the greatest plant ever. I want it to eventually have the architecture of my idea of a real tree. (Oak, sycamore, maple etc.) Other than that I just want it to be healthy.

I need fast growth and drought resistance. It will have nearly full sun or full sun and pretty good amount of room to grow. I was also thinking about hybrid poplar but heard that its not as good for drought resistance.

thanks

I agree with Dan, except that paulownia is no more invasive than tulip poplar or loblolly pine or sweetgum. In a short time paulownia can have the shape and stature of a fine tree.

If your neighbor is clearing, why not ask to rescue some trees? Tulip poplar and red maple and others can be moved.

Tulip poplar is indeed a fast grower and has a pleasant shape. Not. IIRC we had a volunteer that grew about 4'/year. I can't imagine that it would continue at that rate but it was fast.

On the other hand they are not one of my favorites for longterm trees. I have seen some older 120'+ sized ones but they seem to be the exception around here. Their root systems were weaker and although they are a "hardwood" they are a weak hardwood. Pines and Tulip Poplars are what seemed to blow over the most in hurricanes I've been through in NC. They also seemed to be more prone to breakage.

The last storm we had come through here a few months back took alot of Maple, Bradford Pear and Tulip Poplar with some Pine. Anecdotally, there is a big difference to me when I get up in a Tulip Poplar as compared to an Oak. Alot more movement in a TP.

I'm just not a fan of TP's when I'm looking for a tree to plant.

Hmmm, I'm leaning to tulip poplar because it is native. Although I'm curious to see about the paulownia, I am afraid of invasiveness. I'm not sure I want to see them all over the area and know that it was my doing.

Plenty of trees I can borrow from around. Maybe a native mix, heavy on the tulip poplar would be a nice way to go. I might buy some poplar saplings. I tried transplanting a couple 3 foot tall trees a couple years ago and they got sick. It seemed to me that the big central root doesn't take a joke very well.

I'm not afraid of them breaking. They won't be able to damage anything of value other than other trees, which would probably survive anyhow. I'd prefer oaks, but I don't think they would enhance the property soon enough for this particular situation.

... except that paulownia is no more invasive than tulip poplar or loblolly pine or sweetgum.

I was wondering about the reputation of invasiveness as Dirr's book says "they are intolerant of competition and will give way to other species with time."

So this would seem to be an acceptable choice if desired.

Gasman, are you replanting a large area? I'm a little confused on the details (not surprising, this is a general condition of mine). If you have room for a number of trees, why not go for some fast growing and some slower growing. End up with a diversity that will last longer and provide more scope and interest.

Sylvia

Gasman, are you replanting a large area? I'm a little confused on the details (not surprising, this is a general condition of mine). If you have room for a number of trees, why not go for some fast growing and some slower growing. End up with a diversity that will last longer and provide more scope and interest.

Sylvia

I'm not exactly sure what I want to do yet. There is about a 50-75 foot line I want to screen out.

The home will be a hundred yards away so I don't need a dense screen I just want to enhance privacy and to fill in one bare looking vista. But I'm not sure I want to make the screen too deep because it will interfere with already established area people walk and play. And the open area gives a nice view from the house. It's a nice full sun area with a breeze, so I think I'll also plant a few apple trees which I've been wanting to do anyhow.

I think you are right, some diversity is important. I'll definitely mix it up some. I guess I can even take my time to do it.

I would also stay away from the poaulonia, for the reasons given. For some color and drought resistance crepe myrtle makes a nice screen. Select the larger variety. They grow fine in this area without a lot of care. Another good screen plant might be a hornbean.

Back