Is Serviceberry salt tolerant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stachura01

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Want to plant a serviceberry close to edge of tidal marsh. With unusually high tides, like the rare chesapeake hurricane it will get wet. Will it tolerate this?

Whereas the native serviceberry, Amelanchier canadensis, is considered road and sea salt tolerant, I am pretty sure that is referring to aerial/topical sources.

Whether it can survive saline water, I don't know. What other species are already growing near this tidal marsh and how close to the water source are they?

Sylvia

I am guessing no. The marsh is sandy correct? Not exactly the ideal soil for Amelanchier. The sand won't filter much of the NaCl out, and the roots will dehydrate.

I'd actually rate the soil as loam. The tree would be very close to the 100 year flood line. The tree will not have wet feet. The water is low to mid range salinaty.

It was obvious when talking to the homeowner that she really loves watching the numerous species of birds in the area and I wanted to do a good job of enhancing that passion of hers. I know birds are crazy over the fruit. It is my policy to plant the right tree for both the person and the person's environment.

Any other suggestions if the collective prognosis is bad? Zone 7a

Latest posts

Back