Is the MS200 carburetor an embarrassment to Stihl engineering, or what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyRumore

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My god....39 pages worth of carburetor related items in the MS200 IPL. :msp_confused: The ENTIRE IPL for the 046 is only 29 pages.

If that isn't the largest, most embarrassing goat rope in Stihl engineering department history, I don't know what is.

Last edited:
My god....39 pages worth of carburetor related items in the MS200 IPL. :msp_confused: The ENTIRE IPL for the 046 is only 29 pages.

If that isn't the largest, most embarrassing goat rope in Stihl engineering department history, I don't know what is.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

The best part about the whole cluster####, is that the fix for all the problems involves a drill bit and Marinetex or Devcon B.:laugh:
Of course that would not fly with either the Kraut engineers(Need to add 26 parts, not delete 2) or the EPA!;)

If you have ever had a H&K P7 totally apart, and thought "Why?", the 200T carb should seem framilliar.:msp_biggrin:

Have you looked at the 200T Carbitooter thread here?
It's shorter and more usefull than anything Stihl put out.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Ya the 200's had their carb problems, but husky never had something that would even touch it....335's, 338's, were anemic and a POS. I don't think the 339 is much farther ahead either ;)

It's not only a joke, it's JUNK! Great saw, only to be hindered by the crappy carb on it!

What saw is comparable though?

Nothing! Absolutely nothing! Just would have been nice if they would have made the "perfect saw", perfect! They had the chance and all the players, but just came up short on the one fault!

I think you figured out the answer to your question already....LOL

once you get past all the voodoo the fix is actually really simple.

But, it's not just the 200. Many have reported carb issues on other tiny high rev saws. It seems to be a limitation of carburation in general on tiny high revving engines. When you add an accel pump to the mix it's recipe for frustration.

Anyways, 5 minutes with 5 dollars worth of epoxy is all it takes. Not a big deal once the info is out there. The problem got out of hand over the years mainly because Stihl was hell bent on having an accel pump in there. If they would have just given up on that it would never have been an issue

How do you do that ? Show me! I have six or seven 200t's and rebuilding the carbs doesn't work so i just buy new carbs.

Awful carbs and the last 1 i bought has a fixed high speed , the 201 has no carb issues that ive seen , does it have an accelerator pump or not ?

Type carbitooter in the search bar and the thread will pop up with the info and pictures on how to fix the 200t carbs for cheap

Pop the plug out that the arrow is pointing to. JB weld the whole port shut wait till dries. Test this out on a junk one dont wreck a good one first . It works more than half the time. Tap a 90 degree pick into the plug off to the side not the middle there is a column in the middle, and pry it out. Simple fix saves you 90.00

So I pop out a plug then plug the hole? Seems redundant. Is there a port inside the plug that needs plugged or does the plug leak by? Just regular old JB weld?
Thanks for the info!
I knew someone here would know.

What carb is that? I have several Walbro WTs with accelerator pumps and they work fine, but they are not like that picture.
They don't have that oval plug.

Latest posts

Back