is this 2 cords of wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
without measurements its hard to tell but I would guess its short by about a half cord maybe 3/4.

I agree, I'd say that's just over a cord

Yup, considering that a cord's over 1.5 ton of dry doug-fir, and it's a 1-ton, I hear "ripping" sounds.

Buying firewood is really a situation for "caveat emptor."

I see your location has changed. I thought it said San Mateo the first time, now I see you have moved to Beautiful British Columbia. So, wouldn't you be inclined to use metrics instead? Cubic meters? Tonnes?

Me thinks something is not quite right...just saying...:popcorn:

Hell no - firewood is cords. Just not right any other way.

well the guy is realy nice and seems honest he just called back , although my wife said it was a normal pickup he says it was a flat deck that was 9feet 6 in long by 8 feet 6 inch wide by 5 feet tall . which makes more sense now . when I get up there im supposed to measure and well make up the difference next load , or rather he guarantees it was correct . I feel better knowing it was a flat deck .................good news is we just got a husquavarna 570 and a sthil 046 so im working on becoming self efficient we also got a little electric log splitter made by yard machines that I would like to change the pushbutton actuator on it to a pull handle

That'd hold about 400 cubic feet, rough rule of thumb for loose thrown cord volume is between 180-200 cf, so I'm saying it's possible you got what you paid for.

Still need to measure to be sure though.

Yank, it's not uncommon (note I didn't say right), to see 3 tons plus of seed being hauled on 1 ton flatbeds around here in the spring. BTW, the Dodge site: 2013 RAM Trucks | Towing & Payload Specifications | RAM Trucks shows up to 6500 lbs of cargo capacity in a 3500 4x2.

That'd hold about 400 cubic feet, rough rule of thumb for loose thrown cord volume is between 180-200 cf, so I'm saying it's possible you got what you paid for.

Still need to measure to be sure though.

Yank, it's not uncommon (note I didn't say right), to see 3 tons plus of seed being hauled on 1 ton flatbeds around here in the spring. BTW, the Dodge site: 2013 RAM Trucks | Towing & Payload Specifications | RAM Trucks shows up to 6500 lbs of cargo capacity in a 3500 4x2.

Also, Douglas-fir, if seasoned, would be lighter than most hardwoods.

Also, Douglas-fir, if seasoned, would be lighter than most hardwoods.

Less dense too. I already factored that in, relative to avg hardwood density, but you missed it. :hmm3grin2orange:

Yup, considering that a cord's over 1.5 ton of dry doug-fir, and it's a 1-ton, I hear "ripping" sounds.

Buying firewood is really a situation for "caveat emptor."

1 ton does not mean that's what the payload on the truck is. Weight wise, a 1 ton would easily haul 2 cords of doug fir.

From looking at it, I'd say your close but no cigar. However, the thing about firewood is that if I stack a cord, knock it over, stack it again, I will guarantee it will measure differently.

I have stacked a cord in my truck, delivered and stacked at their place and has come out over and under. Just something to keep it mind before you jump all over this guy.

Some guys consistently deliver more (me), some consistently deliver less.

To the OP if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for that wood?

Good point, indeed here in Illinois it is amazing at what some of the local farmers will put on their trucks. When I was snow plowing, I had an 8'2" boss v-plow on the front and a snowman rear mount and carried 2,000 #'s of tractor weights in the box all on a 3500 chevy single axle.

write it off as a lesson learned.

next time you buy wood and stack it, stack it 4 ft high and in a row.

the way you have it stacked is hard to tell, but i'll say it's not 2 FULL cords of wood..maybe 2 face cords, but not 2 full cords.

it was 350$ delivered Canadian money ...... there was a delivery charge figured in of 30 dollars I think . it was 160 a cord plus delivery they stacked it free , im supposed to go measure . im just realy wanting to get into doing our own wood at this point

Those are some big splits. I wish I could deliver splits that large to my customers and not have them complain. It could save me some serious time.

it was 350$ delivered Canadian money ...... there was a delivery charge figured in of 30 dollars I think . it was 160 a cord plus delivery they stacked it free , im supposed to go measure . im just realy wanting to get into doing our own wood at this point

Forget whether it was 2 cords or not, that's a pretty good chunk of loot for 2 cords of doug fir. I understand that it depends on the market in the area, but if your paying that kind of money I'd be meticulous in making sure you got your fair shakes worth.

Fence is 4ft high, runner of fence is 8ft.
I'm guessing the wood is not cut to 16" looks about 14"
IMO you have just barley over 1 cord maybe 1 1/4 cord.

Time to stack it properly then make a call to him about the quantity.
The price is pretty typical for 2 cords of wood but not for 1 cord.

Latest posts

Back