Is this a good cut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Um, undercut looks fine. The back cut and holding wood needs some work. Try to get some stump shot an inch or two. Same with your holding wood all the way across the stump. This should handle 80% of the tree most of us cut.

If you were trying to swing it from right to left I'd say you did alright with the Dutchman. After reading the other thread I'd guess it was unintentional though. If you are going to pull a tree you generally want to keep a decent hinge all the way across. Unless you really know what you are doing. Hey it worked out though right? Its really amazing what can be gotten away with when falling timber. Usually its just dumb luck when something works out like in this scenario. Luck runs out eventually. Nice level cuts. By the stump skids it looks like it came off a little right of the lay yet though.

Last edited:
You guys call it "holding wood" I call it hinge wood.

An old buck told me one day- "Dubby, cut that back cut SLOW! Let the tree have time to start leaning."

This is sage advice for trees that don't already have a good lean.. Prevents some scary situations from cutting the tree off the stump.

I looked at the other pics and must admit I did think that stick had been dropped and the stump doctored lol or that it had been cut by a buncher lol now I a thinking that you was a lucky boy in that one. I think the cable kinda got ya outta it. I'm guessing that your holding/hinge was that small post slightly of centre??? ya really want and need to have way more than that.

Bitz is spot on if ya going to pull sticks ya really need more hinge/holding wood and I would add a wide open face to give ya self the best chance. Also rig em high. ya get better control and commit the stick to the face with less force.

your back cut was level and that is good. but be careful if ya using dutch's.

If you were trying to swing it from right to left I'd say you did alright with the Dutchman. After reading the other thread I'd guess it was unintentional though. If you are going to pull a tree you generally want to keep a decent hinge all the way across. Unless you really know what you are doing. Hey it worked out though right? Its really amazing what can be gotten away with when falling timber. Usually its just dumb luck when something works out like in this scenario. Luck runs out eventually. Nice level cuts. By the stump skids it looks like it came off a little right of the lay yet though.

yup.

kinda like "deserves got nothing to do with it".

first thoughts were the cable was low, the pull hard, and didn't allow dutchman to work as intended and just pulled the stem foward off the stump.

not seeing what was standing on the stump to begin with just makes it hard to tell.
there is a hell of a sweep(s) in the top part of that tree, so it was loaded at some point.

It was one of them fancy new bunchers...a 3 piece .. consists of 4x4 tractor, cable and a hand held bar saw.. kinda hard to run all by ones self ..

If that stick was dead as said in the other thread ............is that not even more reason to have a decent hinge ???

I was always taught never ever trust a dead stick as hinge wood can't be relied on. It was also thumped into me swinging a dead stick ain't the best idea (ok I will give on the time dead and condition of wood makes a diff etc etc) and if they have to be swung rigging em high steep, deep and wide is the way to go (imo)

I do stand by what I said earlier the op was a lucky boy that cable (even to low) prolly gotta him outta the crap.

A qoute from randy on another thread .....I'd 'chair it, just for the noise of it..

We went as high with the cable as we could, I'd say the tree went were I wanted it to but I didn't leave very much holding wood, were you see the holding wood was when it startd to lift, the tractor did the rest. Didn't mess up my saw or have any issues with putting the tree down. I guess I was just really nervous on this one

Back