Is this a good deal on a chipper?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinity Honoria

Reaction score
My gentleman needs guidance... he has found a chipper in his area, at roadside.

Details at the site:
Vermeer Model 620 chipper.
$4,500
200 hours on the new 625 engine
Have new blades & Belt
(he saw "Kohler Command 25" on the motor)

Questions... what should he look for? is the price fair with the details given?

Thanks in advance for your guidance, remarks, etc...

Last edited:
Depends on his intended use. I'm not all up on Vermeer stuff, but if I remember right, the 620 was replaced by the 625. seems this chipper had a hp upgrade when re-powered.
imo only, its a tad high, but with a new engine, maybe not so bad. I personally wouldn't recommend this unit for production tree trimming even though others use them full time for that. to me they're a bit slow for production work, but for homeowner use it's probably be the cats meow.

long time to see Trin ;)
-Ralph

Evidince? Accesory to the Crime perhaps?

This isn't a chipper from Bob Pickton, from British Columbia, is it?:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Hi Trin, you didn't fall for a tree guy did you? :)

hey, sweetie, nope-- the fella who i am head-over-heels-giddy-in-love with is not a tree guy, but he does own a chain saw :laugh: ... who he is: been my best friend for almost 10 years, knows what a shrew i can be, yet loves me anyway... he's waited about 7 years for me to catch on :ices_rofl:

i guess i was a bit dim catching on!!! but my energies are now focused on moving to Seattle...

we use a 625 everyday all day.

it's a nice unit and it keeps up with us all day.you can get it in a lot of tight places and we tow it with a toyota no problem.price sounds right if it's in good shape.the newer motor helps,i just replaced ours for $1800.ask about the maintenance .did he change or sharpen the blades? how is the belt? is tthere grease on the grease fitting? make him fire it up and run some stuff through it.if it's taken care of it should chip just fine.the 620 originally had a 20HP engine so sounds like you alredy had an upgrade.if it will be stored outside,the hydro fluid cap needs to be covered so rain water doesn't get in. the vent will let in water.

i always go by the condition i.e. dents,rust,broken lights,tires.usually if it looks like it's been through hell on the outside,it looks the same on the inside.i'm rarely wrong with that theory.

Latest posts

Back