Is this a good deal? What do you think?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byronsmith101

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A contractor I know got a contract to clear some land in a 2 week deadline. He bought a new RedMax G5300 and it got ran hard for 11 days. That was a year ago and I noticed he never used it again so I asked if he would sell it. He offer me $150 for it. Should I buy it or what?

I'd offer him $125 cash and then pay $150 if you had to.

53cc
3.3 hp
11lb
pro construction... I'd do it!

it would be better than getting a 56cc Stihl farmboss or a husky rancher for sure! Get rid of any saftey chain it might have and put some .325 or 3/8 chain on it! These are pretty nice saws and I'd put the 5300 up there in the same class with an older stihl 024super or 026. Plenty of power for the size and it's a good all purpose saw.

Check the piston for scoring and make sure it runs. If not ####er him down to $100 and tell him you'll work on it yourself to get it running. Then come here and we'll help you fix anything it may need. I would definatly check the piston condition though!!! pull the muffler and look at it!

Last edited:
research says its the same as a husky 353. Define run hard? and by whom? Its pretty easy for someone to ruin a saw especially if they don't intend to use it again.
I'd buy it if it looked nice and checked out good.

Id buy it in a heart beat- probably not even count the money out. 353 for $150 is a great buy.

it starts up and runs great, will have to take the muffler off to check the piston, what do I look for. By run hard it just was run from sun up to sundown by someone a little above amateur.

When you have the muffler off, simply shine a flashlight through the exhaust port and look at the piston as you move it through a cycle. A saw this new should have no scoring, or what appears to be linear scratches/damage to the piston. If your finger fits see if it feels smooth (that sounded dirty). Some will disagree, but I'd also throw a compression tester on it, and a saw that new should have 170 or so psi.
I'd buy it for 150 if it checked out.
good luck

how do I check it out and what do I look for on the piston

with the muffler off, you can look straight into the exhaust port, and by slowy pulling the starter rope, you can look at the cylinder wall, look for grooves (lines) going the direction of the piston movement, and look for scuff marks or signs of rub on the piston skirt (below the rings). The rings should be clearly visible, with not a lot of carbon (black) on them or the piston top, if it has been running well. Look in the muffler and see how dirty (carboned up) it is as well, can give you good insight as to how it was run, or has been functioning-using a flashlight look into the muffler from the port that mates to the cylinder.

it starts up and runs great, will have to take the muffler off to check the piston, what do I look for. By run hard it just was run from sun up to sundown by someone a little above amateur.

This might help. This is what you don't want to see. There are probably some pics of good/bad pistons somewhere else on this site.

Piston Failure Analysis

Last edited:
I will check the piston, however I don't have a compression tester. How much does it matter that it has been run hard for 11 days tho.?

I will check the piston, however I don't have a compression tester. How much does it matter that it has been run hard for 11 days tho.?

If he ran the proper fuel/oil mixture I would think the saw would be fine no matter how long it was run. If the piston and cylinder looked good I would buy it.

Saws have been straight gassed out of the box, so I would not let some time on it stop me. If the P&C look good, it has no structural defects (broken handle) I think you will be fine.

Run hard for 11 days? If there were a couple zeros behind that number, then the saw would be getting tired. Would you buy a car that someone drove across the country twice in one month? Don't worry about 11 days use.

Latest posts

Back