Is this a reasonable price for a running 262XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found this on yahoo auctions japan, and wondering what its perceived value is in the states. this was a work saw that somebody sold to a pawn store and they are now selling it.

the translation basically reads that they started it up and it ran and revved OK..no other real info to speak of. I have rad some posts that spoke well of this model for a 60cc class saw and just looking for other opinions.

the auction is starting at approximately 400 USD and will probably sell at that price as this is its third go around on the site.

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r149896306

That seems pretty reasonable for a 262 as long as it's in good shape and running well. I would drop 4 bills on a nice 262 if I really wanted one.

Just my opinion:

If its stock, in exceptional condition and from a trusted A.S. member or if I'm able to look the saw over in person, $400 is "okay".

I don't think I'd pay that for a 262xp on an auction site.

If you have patience you can pick up one a lot cheaper in Japan... a little knowledge helps, though. I sold mine in probably much better condition ("like new" and tested ;)) to a friend for less than 200 bucks - this one had been a lucky buy on my part, though.
I bought a 268 this spring for 100 bucks - didn't know if it runs, but so didn't any of the other bidders. Used stuff is cheaper over here in general.

If you have patience you can pick up one a lot cheaper in Japan... a little knowledge helps, though. I sold mine in probably much better condition ("like new" and tested ;)) to a friend for less than 200 bucks - this one had been a lucky buy on my part, though.
I bought a 268 this spring for 100 bucks - didn't know if it runs, but so didn't any of the other bidders. Used stuff is cheaper over here in general.
got ya, usually that has been my experience also. just not sure how much they are going for in general.

That really limited information for $400 bucks. They started and revv'd it, but never got to see if clutch was shot, or saw if saw would overheat, or if it oil - shot oil pump, etc, sound familiar?

That really limited information for $400 bucks. They started and revv'd it, but never got to see if clutch was shot, or saw if saw would overheat, or if it oil - shot oil pump, etc, sound familiar?

sob sob sob.....You are so mean to me...you have devastated my inner child forever :laughing:

BTW finally got a used oil pump in, just waiting for a chance to open the shop and assemble this thing to see what is going to bite me on the ass next.

Well put your inner child to rest. I don't know if anyone else mentioned it but a 262xp, if i'm not mistaken, is a really old saw. Thus $400 would be a PREMIUM for that thing - per Acres produced from 1990-1996. So you looking at $400 for a 20-25 yr old saw based purely on "it starts and revs."

Keep your 372xp and enjoy it!

actually I was more curious about the value due to the aspect of its age and what might or might not be collectible in the US. one thing about japan, most people who would have the use for or the need for a saw like that the chance of them wasting money on chinese parts would be about zero, so if it had a reasonable resale value n the states...then might buy and flip or trade for something else...Just trying to find new and inventive ways to help my wife master her usage of curse words at me ;)

I don't think there's any way you could spend $400 on that and then ship it to the US and turn a profit. They are a well regarded saw, yes, but not rare.

I see them on Craigslist every now and then. Usually $200-$350.

I don't think there's any way you could spend $400 on that and then ship it to the US and turn a profit. They are a well regarded saw, yes, but not rare.

I see them on Craigslist every now and then. Usually $200-$350.

I guess I should ask what are rare well regarded saws that people would be interested in? I don't think that the whole collecting bug has hit the japanese in regards to chain saws as their are so few people with a need for one. I see lots and I mean lots of older husqvarna's as in pre chain brake styled for sale so if there are particular models that people are interested in I could watch for any that might pop up.

Im going to pick up a nice looking 262xp Sunday morning. Hopefully it is as nice in person mechanically then just nice pictures. Owner said it is all stock and used minimally as he is the original owner and by where he lives, there is NO trees to be cutting.

Latest posts

Back