Is this a scam?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WetBehindtheEar
:confused:Here's a possibly 'too good to be true' ad from Craigslist...

http://madison.craigslist.org/zip/1052844275.html

Updated free firewood posting.

Free wood is periodically available.
A wide variety of trees are taken down in Madison and immediately surrounding communities. The wood generated from these removals can be delivered to you at no cost, but only if your location is close, thus making it convenient and affordable with regard to time and fuel costs.
Ideally, we want to deliver in Madison because thats where the trees are taken down. However, some trees are also taken down in such communities as: Veron, Middleton, Waunakee, Sun Prairie, Cottage Grove, McFarland, Stoughton, Oregon, and Fitchburg.
It is important to realize that there is no set time for delivery, but we can contact you to make sure you still want wood. For example, wood could come any time of day at any time of year, it just depends on when a tree is taken down in your neck of the woods.
The wood is also free because its often not the best species or size. Often, the species is soft maple, cottonwood, evergreen, willow, basswood, etc. Sometimes its better wood like oak, ash, hickory, locust, hard maple, cherry, etc. 'The point is, you have to be willing to accept any species.
The wood is also free because is can come in very large diameters and lengths. From 1' diamter to 4' diamter, and from 1' in length to 12' in length. Remember that the wood is not split or cut to any specific length.
Condition of wood can vary as well. Some pieces may have decay. Most are sound though.
Wood is clean of dirt. I is not rolled around in mud before being delivered.

Delivery truck needs good access to drop wood. It is not a 4x4.
Each load will vary in size from 1/2 a cord to 2 1/2 cords.
We can contact you before delivering.

You must include the following info at the top of your email:
Name
Address of delivery site
Phone numbers (home, cell)
Email
Details of where the wood should be dumped at the site. Keep in mind, truck is not a 4x4, and needs good access.

Please email to: [email protected]

Thank you

I just am a little wierded out by not having anything other than an e-mail address to contact this guy with... no phone number... no business name...

He's asking for a lot of specific information without divulging who specifically he is.

This would be a mutually beneficial deal as he wouldn't have to pay the landfill to drop off the wood and he wouldn't have to maintain a chipper...
Thoughts?

Jon E

Jon E

ArboristSite Operative
Looks like a tree service is looking for places nearby to drop off pieces so that they don't have to haul them across town or to a landfill. I'd get all I could, I don't care what size or what species, free wood is free! Sounds like it'd be coming on a dump truck or a large flatbed with a grapple loader.

mga

wandering
probably a tree service looking to get rid of their days work.

most often, the best woods are kept by the crew for their own use or to give to family or friends.

throwing in the possibility of getting oak etc is the catcher....that's the tease part of advertising....banking on people's willingness to gamble.

Last edited:
Vangellis

Vangellis

ArboristSite Guru
Sorry, but I think it's a scam.:(
Asking for too much contact info.

My son is trying to sublet an apartment he has in Philly out. Someone keeps e-mailing him asking for all the same information when all they need is his phone #. Looks like identity theft. Maybe I'm being a cynic, but thats my take.

Kevin

atvdave

atvdave

ArboristSite Operative
Just did a random search of a name out of a phone book. I got....

name (Given...)
Wife's name
address (years they lived there)
phone#
email address

unless you have a unlisted number... it's no big secret.

danrclem

danrclem

Addicted to ArboristSite
Set up a disposable gmail address and email them back.

Ask them what the name of their company is and then call them to ask questions.

Steve

Yep, that's what I'd do. I'd bet money that it's a tree service wanting a cheap way to get rid of wood.

I doubt that it's a scam but you can never be too careful. Like some of the other guys have said you probably won't get much if any premium wood but if it's dropped at your door it can't ball all that bad. Beggars can't be choosers.

cord arrow

cord arrow

Addicted to ArboristSite
The tree services around here simply tell you where it is, what it is and when it has to be gone...via craigslist.

Such as THIS.

I'd be all over this ash...but can't bring it across county lines...

Joshlaugh

Joshlaugh

ArboristSite Operative
The tree services around here simply tell you where it is, what it is and when it has to be gone...via craigslist.

Such as THIS.

I'd be all over this ash...but can't bring it across county lines...

Where are you in Central Ohio? Remember we can move ash between counties under quarantine(Franklin, Union, Licking, Delaware, Pickaway) but not from one of those to a county that currently isn't under restrictions. You can even take ash from an unrestricted county to a restricted one. Just not vice versa.

WetBehindtheEar
Thanks all,

Yeah, I KNOW that beggars can't be choosers when it's free...the ad even said that there would probably be punky stuff in the mix.

I think part of the issue is that I e-mailed the address there and haven't gotten a response.

I mentioned that I wanted to discuss 'voice-to-voice' to describe where to dump any deliveries. We share a driveway and I wouldn't want the pile to be put on the neighbors' side blocking them. Nor would I want them blocking my access, either.

We JUST built a garage and I wouldn't be very happy to have them pile 2 cord of wood that is anywhere between 1'&4' in diameter up against the new garage door... or on top of the downspouts...