Is This Allowed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Edwards

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I started in the tree industry working for Asplundh clearing R/W. Back then I know we weren't allowed to use Asplundh's equipment. Has that changed? can you now use their equipment to do your own private work ? There is a local guy doing just that. I have told him that as long as he didn't hurt my business I would never find out if he could actually use their equipment. Well since, i have customers complaining that this guy works cheaper than I do. This is causing me problems. Customers usually don't care how he is doing it they just like a cheaper price, right? I did explain to one customer that of course he can do it cheaper, he didn't even have to pay for the gas to come and price your job, how can i compete with that? I see this regularly , he brings home their bucket truck, chipper, stump grinder, and even their tractor with a bush-hog on it. Am i jealous? I guess so to the point of i have to pay for everything i use ,yes even the gas in the saws. I am sorta torn on what to do .Small community where I live. Most will see me as greedy business guy holding a brotha down. What do you guys think about this?

I am quite sure Asplundh would look dimly on the off hours use of their equipment. So would their insurance company.

He may have worked out some sort of rental deal, but I doubt it.

Is this guy insured for the work he does?

My suggestion is to set yourself apart from this guy in terms of service and quality. Once you start competing on price only you're guaranteed to come out the loser.

B-Edwards said:
I am sorta torn on what to do .Small community where I live. Most will see me as greedy business guy holding a brotha down. What do you guys think about this?
If you saw someone robbing a bank you wouldn't hesitate to turn them in, would you. Make the call and sleep well. Who cares what people think?
Phil

personally i wouldnt stoop to stitching the bloke up.....it'll only be you that ends up looking bad, but i think u know that. this sort of thing will always happen and fustrating as it is you're best ignoring it. like someone else said, set yourself apart with the quality of work you do. do you really want customers who are just after the cheapest job they can get anyway?

Small Wood said:
If you saw someone robbing a bank you wouldn't hesitate to turn them in, would you. Make the call and sleep well. Who cares what people think?
Phil
Phil, you and Treeco, dime dropping brothers. Of course Asplundh employees are not allowed to do buzz jobs with company equipment, B-, do what you think is right, think what your old bros at big orange would think.

Small Wood said:
Phil

ive gotta say, i do love some of the comparisons some people draw up

A thief stops being a thief when he steals from Asplundh? I should look the other way if the thief is in the tree buis. Forget it. Next time someone reaches into your truck and steals some of your gear don't forget to smile becuase after all, he's one of your "bros."
Phil

If this guy is working for asplundh full time, how much time does he really have to cut into your business? There may be wisdom in leaving the man be and letting him make his money on the side. Would you rather have him doing a job here or there, or have him buying a truck and chipper and going into business full time. By ratting the man out you may win the battle, and in the long run loose the war by, forcing the guy to get his own truck and chipper, and undercutting you on a full time basis.

Karma my friend...leave the man be

im sorry...im not getting how someone stealing a saw from my truck is the same
i bow out.

Actually the guy may be legit. the big LC companies did start 'renting' their equipment to their employees for pvt work. This is not done in all areas, or for all employees.
We just had a thread about this where I went in depth with it. I'll try to find it and link it here.

Short answer is this, call his supervisor and ask him if the guy can use the equipment and if he would be covered under their insurance, ect.
-Ralph

edit: found it: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=38403

Last edited:
Mate when it comes down to it, is this guy gunna affect your survival? Is he gunna take your bread 'n' butter? If so call Asplundh and dob him in.

On the other hand if he isn't then let him be.

In my neck of the woods its dog eat dog (Absolutely flooded) :\ A competitor is a competitor so you do what you can to get them outta the game and what puts you ahead.

JohN Dee said:
In my neck of the woods its dog eat dog (Absolutely flooded) :\ A competitor is a competitor so you do what you can to get them outta the game and what puts you ahead.
I hear they eat dog in Korea, but I don't want to try it.

Is there a market in Sydney for arboriculture, beyond tree lopping?

Call this guy up and ask for the phone number of the person you have to talk to rent buckets, chippers, brush hogs, ect. If he is ligit than its apples to apples. If he is "borrowing" this armada than there is no way you can compete.

treeseer said:
I hear they eat dog in Korea, but I don't want to try it.

Is there a market in Sydney for arboriculture, beyond tree lopping?

More so in the higher society areas, those with the money to spend on tree care.

It really sucks how low tree awareness is out here. If there was more tree awareness then alota businesses(Hacks) would be out of business and the market wouldn't be so flooded then.

I thought it was better in Sydney. Dont councils have protection orders on trees?

Isn't it funny how often the "dobber" is considered the bad guy:confused: Maybe that mentality is what helps terrorists live in your country.

B-Edwards said:
I started in the tree industry working for Asplundh clearing R/W. Back then I know we weren't allowed to use Asplundh's equipment. Has that changed? can you now use their equipment to do your own private work ? There is a local guy doing just that. I have told him that as long as he didn't hurt my business I would never find out if he could actually use their equipment. Well since, i have customers complaining that this guy works cheaper than I do. This is causing me problems. Customers usually don't care how he is doing it they just like a cheaper price, right? I did explain to one customer that of course he can do it cheaper, he didn't even have to pay for the gas to come and price your job, how can i compete with that? I see this regularly , he brings home their bucket truck, chipper, stump grinder, and even their tractor with a bush-hog on it. Am i jealous? I guess so to the point of i have to pay for everything i use ,yes even the gas in the saws. I am sorta torn on what to do .Small community where I live. Most will see me as greedy business guy holding a brotha down. What do you guys think about this?
he might have a deal with them, to rent the stuff, they use this technique to attract employees, they do 4-tens with the rest of the time for plenty of sidework, or he is using it illegally, dont even waste your breath with your so called customers, the conversation of who charges what, with a client is a waste of your time, either they are with your brand of professionalism or they are low bidders, ask him for double thick hoodies and move on

yes Ekka they do but a lot of the time we have to tell them they need it before we can touch their tree,and we have to see it,council approval that is.Mate i tell you if I get a wif of any terrorist here they will be discreetly taken care of...I have no hesitation of dropping a coin on them! Or any idiot out there hacking up trees as-well..you should see some of the dodgy work around here,it's disgusting..back to the post: Me I would pass on the information to whoever it takes to stop him..like you said your paying for everything..ins etc..etc, Ive heard of a crew that used to go back and re quote the job after the boss had left and do the job with his saws under the pretense they were sharpening his chains for him on the weekend,this poor blokes now gone!

Back