Is this chain messed up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplemeister

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hate to show my inexperience but was sharpening the chain on my Husky 50 special today and discovered that I have two cutting teeth that follow one another on the chain but are both located on the same side. All the other teeth alternate around the full length of the chain. This chain came out of a new box from the local dealer and was not put together by me. Checked my other two saws and they have alternating teeth all the way around. Was this
chain put together incorrectly?

Maplemeister :confused:

I have that one of my chains,, haven't given it a second thought! just cut it I say, but no expert!

Every Stihl chain I have is like that. I actually like it because when I sharpen that is my reference point for starting/finishing.

Ok, I won't worry about it anymore. I have been doing a lot of research on this site regarding the method for successful hand filing over the past few weeks and it is paying off. I can now grab the file and put a good edge on my saw in about 10 minutes. That is something I could never get the hang of before but I never really had anyone that would show me the proper technique either. Love this site. Thanks for all the input.

Maplemeister :greenchainsaw:

Totally agree with the reference point! Nice to know when to stop filing!

I had one with a link backwards, that actually bound up a bit making a bit of a kink. I filed down the innocent raker for the offending link and let 'er rip.

Hate to show my inexperience but was sharpening the chain on my Husky 50 special today and discovered that I have two cutting teeth that follow one another on the chain but are both located on the same side. All the other teeth alternate around the full length of the chain. This chain came out of a new box from the local dealer and was not put together by me. Checked my other two saws and they have alternating teeth all the way around. Was this
chain put together incorrectly?

Maplemeister :confused:
If you are right handed, an extra right side cutter helps balance the saw. If you are left handed, the extra cutter is on the left side. Keeps you from cutting crooked. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

bama response

If BS was music this could be a forum about the symphony. My first chainsaw was a Homelite 150 took a 59 drive link chain as has been said the double cutters were always a good start and stop point. Most often used saw now Homelite 330 takes a 59 or a 60 miss the reference when I have a 60 on it.

If BS was music this could be a forum about the symphony. My first chainsaw was a Homelite 150 took a 59 drive link chain as has been said the double cutters were always a good start and stop point. Most often used saw now Homelite 330 takes a 59 or a 60 miss the reference when I have a 60 on it.

When you have been here longer, it will happen to you, too. I am starting to pick it up from the masters.:bowdown:

Yep no problems whatsoever. The chain (as Treeco mentioned) was probably made up at the store off of a roll. It just works out that way on occasion. I have a couple like that and when sharpening, I always start at that spot and when it comes round again, viola! :clap: :cheers:

Back