Is this clutch drum pretty well gone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somesawguy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This is off a Stihl 024.

It looks like it might be on it's last legs. Am I right?

IMG_5799_800x600.jpg

IMG_5778_800x600.jpg

Last edited:
A while back I bought a Stihl 015 ($15 and in nice shape) and the owner said the clutch was bad in it. All it was the clutch drum spur wore completely through and would spin but the chain wouldn't:laugh:

It's FUBAR man, send it to the scrap yard.:msp_scared:

A while back I bought a Stihl 015 ($15 and in nice shape) and the owner said the clutch was bad in it. All it was the clutch drum spur wore completely through and would spin but the chain wouldn't:laugh:

I'd say.

Make the replacement a rim sprocket so you don't have to replace the whole thing next time.

This is off a Stihl 024.

It looks like it might be on it's last legs. Am I right?

IMG_5799_800x600.jpg

IMG_5778_800x600.jpg

I changed out a few of those drum sprockets. Then I heard that many sawyers replaced them with the Rim's, and that's what I run on my saws now. Don't notice any improvement, but it's different. :)

Bought a Pro Mac 55 in a group of saws that was said to run but have a bad clutch. When I got home I flipped the saw over and noticed the chain was off the sprocket. 2 minutes later I had a running, functioning saw.

Back