Is this Maple?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kattcutter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My experience is pretty much limited to Oak & Cherry.. can y'all tell me if this is Maple? It is a very heavy, dense wood.

Thanks!

maplel.jpg

maple1z.jpg

maple2.jpg

Last edited:
I can't find any pics of the ornamental cherry online, but it does favor the black birch pics I have found. Either/or - is it worth $25 for a pickup load (8 ft. bed) for firewood?

I don't know how either of those woods burn...

depends on the wood. Orn Cherry has more of a red/brown tone to the bark. But check out the wood, birch needs to be split pretty ASP or it rots from the inside out and becomes punky fast. If its decent wood birch burns okay and produces a medium to medium/high heat. But get it split fast

Looks like a flowering cherry to me, probably Kwanzaan.

Good firewood, I think it may have a tendancy to throw sparks though, so make sure the chimney is clean.

Ok. It's NOT a maple!

Glad to be of service :)

LOL - guess I should have done a bit more research on this one before posting! :monkey:

I see it is not maple - the bark goes in a different direction... After looking at quite a few pics online I would lean toward Cherry or Birch as well. My experience w/ Cherry is that it is mostly easy to split. This stuff is very difficult to split - I will most likely be using my 35 ton Huskee on this.

Also, you know how many woods have that aroma when you are splitting it? I don't detect the aroma of Cherry when I am splitting these - don't know what birch smells like...

Back